Are the English Democrats a viable alternative for Sheffield?

To my surprise I had an election leaflet from our English Democrat candidate through the letterbox today.

They have a Mayor in Doncaster and say that they have lots of nationalist policies without being especially nationalistic.

I'm guessing that David Wildgoose won't object to his Facebook page on here?

So could they be a viable alternative to the other parties?

Doncaster was an odd one wasn't it? I like the idea of mayors but the mistake that they made over there was that the mayor didn't have the right executive authority so the councillors that feel unempowered and disenfranchised do their best to leg up the mayor at every opportunity.

Obviously the authority has been a basketcase for years anyway, but way to go Gordon! Electoral reform designed to fail, meanwhile kids die, industry leaves, etc, etc.

I know next to nothing about the English Democrats though. It would be nice to hear from any one who knows more or supports them... maybe even one of their candidates.

Doncaster was an odd one wasn't it? I like the idea of mayors but the mistake that they made over there was that the mayor didn't have the right executive authority so the councillors that feel unempowered and disenfranchised do their best to leg up the mayor at every opportunity.

That's true, poor Doncaster has been beset with political problems and mis-management for years. Peter Davies certainly talked it up, but was a square peg in a round hole, with some pretty lary ideas to boot!

I do like the idea of an executive mayor though with real power like they have in the US, but with safeguards to prevent the excesses that 'amateurs' with power are often tempted by.

I have their leaflet in front of me. It is full of the same old jingoistic claptrap, and imo, anyone who views them as potential leaders is obviously missing something.

Phrases include "Getting rid of political correctness", "Introduce army style punishments and training for criminals" and "Multiculturism will go".

They also say they will scrap regional government to save money and then on the next page they say they will create a parliament and government for England.

Crackpots, the lot of them.

Peter Davis has been a disaster in Doncaster. I have it on good authority that he recently said he wanted to get rid of the homelessness service, until someone pointed out that it was a statutory provision which you can't get rid of. He has no idea. What a berk.

Peter Davis has been a disaster in Doncaster. I have it on good authority that he recently said he wanted to get rid of the homelessness service, until someone pointed out that it was a statutory provision which you can't get rid of. He has no idea. What a berk.

He rose to "power" on a manifesto of bluster, claptrap and empty rhetoric. A laughable, clown type figure until you realise that the dullards in Doncaster actually voted for him.

That says a lot for their intelligence, but also a lot about the service they'd received from their God awful council in the past.

Dunny (Donny)-on-the-Wold

Archived