Who would Peppa pig vote for?

Who would Peppa the Pig vote for?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who would Peppa the Pig vote for?

Since there is a thread about who would Jesus vote for, I thought a thread about a more modern icon might be of interest especially since the Guardian has got one of their journalists on to research the issue for us.

It is the UK equivalent of those soul-searching American inquiries about what sort of car Jesus would drive: who would Peppa Pig vote for?

It is, like the Jesus question, unanswerable if not quite imponderable. Peppa Pig wishes to remain above politics, to the extent that the cartoon pig pulled out of a Labour event to promote Sure Start centres (although Peppa Pig does support Sure Start), for fear of courting controversy.

The other thing that makes this question difficult to answer is Peppa Pig herself. Even in the broadest ideological terms, she remains a cipher. She's part of a traditional family unit – Mummy Pig, Daddy Pig, brother George (also a pig) – but that's where tradition ends. Mummy Pig spends her spare time working as a volunteer firefighter, while Daddy Pig goes out barbecuing with his mates. You can see where the plot of that particular episode is heading.

Before now, Peppa Pig's most overtly political statement was a very public failure to wear a seatbelt, the sort of libertarian "I can kill myself if I feel like it" thinking displayed by many Ukip sympathisers. But Peppa has, in cartoon animal terms, a fairly cosmopolitan circle of friends. There's a dog, a rabbit and a cat. Most of her pals are indigenous creatures, but there's a zebra in there, and her teacher appears to be an antelope with a French accent. So one could argue that some of her best friends are immigrants, although if you stretch the analogy too far the episode where they all have their faces painted like tigers takes on a disturbing new dimension.

On this evidence we can deduce that Peppa Pig would not vote for any of the minor anti-European, anti-immigrant parties on offer. Although she recycles avidly, we cannot assume she votes Green, because her skilful avoidance of a setpiece Labour event demonstrates she's nothing if not tactical. Her support for Sure Start alone probably rules out a Tory vote, since the Conservatives are not committed to protecting them.

That only leaves Labour, the Lib Dems and – if they wish to go to court over it – the SNP. Peppa Pig almost certainly favours one of the first two, but which one? Such clues as remain are ambiguous: she wears a red dress, but she lives in a yellow house. On balance I would say the house wins, but unless she turns up on Question Time after Thursday's debate, we'll probably never know for sure.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/apr/27/peppa-pig-general-election-vote

So what do forumers think? LibDem? has the author discounted the greens too quickly?

Well at the minute my daughter is only 20 months old but i'd hope if she went into politics at a later stage of life Peppa would vote for my daughter, jeez we've done enough to support her over the last year, dvd's, cuddly toys etc.

We helped here get where she is now. :hihi:

Archived