The White Family, Wallace Road, Sheffield

bczel01

Hi,

I am trying to find some information out about a relative killed in World War One. All I have is the death plaque, but no paperwork (which would have been useful).

His name is John Henry White and was born in Sheffield in 1897. He is my great grandfather's brother. I have ordered some documents to assist my research, but was wondering if anybody had any information in relation to where he lived and worked? He was killed in 1917.

From the census of 1901 and 1911, he lived on Wallace Road in Sheffield and worked as a Post Office telegraph messenger for the GPO.

He was one of 7 siblings (3 girls and 4 boys). My great grandfather was called Robert William White (1886-1967).

Any info about the area they lived, the Neepsend railway (family worked there) and the Sheffield Postal Service would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris.

Hi,

I am trying to find some information out about a relative killed in World War One. All I have is the death plaque, but no paperwork (which would have been useful).

His name is John Henry White and was born in Sheffield in 1897. He is my great grandfather's brother. I have ordered some documents to assist my research, but was wondering if anybody had any information in relation to where he lived and worked? He was killed in 1917.

From the census of 1901 and 1911, he lived on Wallace Road in Sheffield and worked as a Post Office telegraph messenger for the GPO.

He was one of 7 siblings (3 girls and 4 boys). My great grandfather was called Robert William White (1886-1967).

Any info about the area they lived, the Neepsend railway (family worked there) and the Sheffield Postal Service would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris.

Court 5 would have been the bottom part of Wallace Road, railway side, later to become the Hallamshire steelworks stockyard,

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Wallace+Road,+Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&sll=53.420512,-1.49258&sspn=0.000318,0.000857&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Wallace+Rd,+Sheffield+S3+9,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.396026,-1.478745&spn=0,0.000684&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=53.396026,-1.478745&panoid=m8TdSXXeWDnZierJLqlh9A&cbp=12,148.91,,0,-2.63

You could try for his service information here,

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=6006

and a possible baptism of his sister Nellie here,

http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/ParishBaptismIndex.html

Hi bczel01 - the former Head Post Office in Fitzalan Square had a memorial plaque giving the names of Sheffeld postal workers killed in the First World War. It used to be on the wall near the entrance - I think it might have been relocated to Castle House when the office closed and post office business was transferred there. Your great-great-uncle is mentioned on the Post Office's roll of honour here (click on 'Sheffield' at the left side, then on 'Sheffield Postal Service').

Hi Retep!

Thanks for the baptism link I have found my great grandfather and 3 of his siblings so I know that I have the right Whites. Couldn't find John Henry on the baptisms, but some excellent leads here - thank you.

Chris

Is this the correct person:

UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919

Name: John Henry White

Birth Place: Sheffield

Death Date: 27 Apr 1917

Enlistment Location: Sheffield

Regiment: Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery

Battalion: Territorial Force

Number: 786415

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre