The 'Verb': "To OF"

I had a discussion with my mum about bored of versus bored with and she explained it to me but I can't remember her explanation! Bored of though is incorrect according to how grammar was taught in 'her day' and she gets really annoyed when ever people say bored of! I'll have to investigate because it would be amusing if I could prove her wrong!

To be honest alot of all the mispronounciations these days are probably due to the lack of grammar taught at school which is being passed on, I know I didn't do much at school, my mum always talks about clauses etc and their grammar lessons which we didn't learn in my day! It is also to do with regional dialect e.g. the sheffield were Vs was, 'it were weren't it' should be 'it was, wasn't it', and the whole internet/text abbreviations that are creeping in, hence 'nite' and 'of' instead of 'have' etc. We live in a different age now, imagine if we still spoke in ye olde english still!!

edited grammatical errors!!:)

I am fed up with people who cannot spell 'Hiccough' ("Hiccup"), who think 'Alright' is a word and who omit the apostrophes in 'plane and 'phone.

I mean, the apostrophe is a lazy convention anyway, invented for moveable type in order to make words fit into tight columns; hardly something required any longer, except perhaps to indicicate a genitive declension of an object.

To omit the apostrophe in 'plane or 'phone is further laziness and should be punished by having the perpetrators fingers nailed to a plank of wood, in order to prevent recidivism.

Incidentally - how is 'ghoti' pronounced, anyone?

Foxxx - grammar is my personal vendetta!! I'm young though, and still got taught it in school. No-one ever pronounced "olde englishe" like it was spelt!! They just hadn't standardised spelling yet! Although I see your point, I think that 'nite' and others like it are used through ignorance and laziness rather than because the language is evolving...

(although you could argue that as long as the meaning is understood then that's all language is for... so who cares!!!!)

Originally posted by Agent Dan

Foxxx - grammar is my personal vendetta!! I'm young though, and still got taught it in school. No-one ever pronounced "olde englishe" like it was spelt!! They just hadn't standardised spelling yet! Although I see your point, I think that 'nite' and others like it are used through ignorance and laziness rather than because the language is evolving...

(although you could argue that as long as the meaning is understood then that's all language is for... so who cares!!!!)

So what's your position on excessive use of exclaimation marks?

:lol:

Nomme

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

To omit the apostrophe in 'plane or 'phone is further laziness and should be punished by having the perpetrators fingers nailed to a plank of wood, in order to prevent recidivism.

Surely 'phone' has entered the language as a word now though, because of mobiles and all that?

Mobile telephone seems a tad long winded, I've never known anyone or any publication that uses the term 'mobile telephone' rather than 'mobile phone'.

I think children should be taught a foreign language at school, it helps you appreciate how languages work a little better. I never really thought about the concept of verbs before I started learning French.

Originally posted by Sidla

Surely 'phone' has entered the language as a word now though, because of mobiles and all that?

Mobile telephone seems a tad long winded, I've never known anyone or any publication that uses the term 'mobile telephone' rather than 'mobile phone'.

And the correct spelling of phone is 'phone

You have missed the apostrophe again - now where is my hammer?

As I said, surely the word "phone" (no apostrophe) has entered the language due to mobile technology.

I challenge you to find a website that refers to a mobile phone as either "mobile 'phone" or "mobile telephone".

Originally posted by nommedenet

So what's your position on excessive use of exclaimation marks?

:lol:

Nomme

I think you can drop the i in exclaim when it's used as part of the word exclamation. Hee hee.

Originally posted by Sidla

As I said, surely the word "phone" (no apostrophe) has entered the language due to mobile technology.

I challenge you to find a website that refers to a mobile phone as either "mobile 'phone" or "mobile telephone".

All I was doing with my "I hate..." post is to demonstrate that language

a)belongs to no-one

b)changes of its own accord

Hence all ranting about anyone using incorrect grammar, spelling or punctuation is largely irrelevant. If enough people do it, then it is correct. Until then it is merely idiolect.

It is now accepted that alright is one word. When I was at school it was definitely two. Do I get uptight about it, do I tell everyone how uptight it makes me? Only when I have a humorous (sorry you missed it) point to make.

Archived