Unusual Boys Names

I chose my kids names when I was 15 and see that one of them already appears in this thread

seth caleb

Storm mathias

Serena eve

loveday raven amulet kay

Sadly I can not have my own children so will never get to use them

...The problem with names is that there seems to be a fashion for them, for instance there was a time when Victorian names were in, Sophie, Lily, Emily, Charlotte and Sarah - must be a tad confusing when there are say, four Sophies in the same class, and now I've noticed Beatrice has become popular what next Kate because of Kate Middleton

I think most of those are still popular. They're rather lovely too, along with 'Kate'. It would be nice to see that one enjoy a resurgence in popularity. Beatrice too.

The names that were popular at my Sheffield comp 20+ years ago have mostly fallen out of favour: Lisa, Michelle, Sharon, Clare, Jason, Darren, etc; you could guarantee a few of those in most classrooms.

I think most of those are still popular. They're rather lovely too, along with 'Kate'. It would be nice to see that one enjoy a resurgence in popularity. Beatrice too.

The names that were popular at my Sheffield comp 20+ years ago have mostly fallen out of favour: Lisa, Michelle, Sharon, Clare, Jason, Darren, etc; you could guarantee a few of those in most classrooms.

I never recall 20+ years ago that names like Sharon with an 'r' as the third or fourth letter were shortened with a 'z' in them e.g. Gary shortened to Gaz, which would stop me calling my son Gary for that reason

I never recall 20+ years ago that names like Sharon with an 'r' as the third or fourth letter were shortened with a 'z' in them e.g. Gary shortened to Gaz, which would stop me calling my son Gary for that reason

I recall a Shaz at my school, as well as a Kaz (Karen) or two and a Daz (Darren). I don't think we had any Garys though.

Intriguingly, in my family tree I have the unusually named Judas Iscariot Burton. All his brothers and sisters had fairly normal names so you do wonder whether there was some sort of story behind it. I've even corresponded with someone who knew him and apparently he was a perfectly pleasant old chap who went by the name of Jude. He did get a mention in Jonathan Green's book of unusual names which came out a couple of years ago though.

Archived