Teacher acquitted of attempted murder

You're already here.

On topic content:

There are plenty of schools with excellent discipline without the need to return to corporal punishment. Yes, parental support is essential but it also requires a strong management team and clear, adhered to, policies.

Sorry but this has had me chuckling. Let's see - dicipline - detention; exclusion; expulsion - and for children who enjoy detention, don't mind exclusion; and would like extra time off school - what then. It's not really a deterrant. So aside from those three things - what do these magnificent schools do? Could it be that they never had any dicipline problem children to start off with?

Sorry but this has had me chuckling. Let's see - dicipline - detention; exclusion; expulsion - and for children who enjoy detention, don't mind exclusion; and would like extra time off school - what then. It's not really a deterrant. So aside from those three things - what do these magnificent schools do? Could it be that they never had any dicipline problem children to start off with?

Hi Dragon.

What's your experience of working in schools?

Hi Dragon.

What's your experience of working in schools?

I have no experience of working in schools other than rarely helping out with the occassional fund raiser, but I have plenty of kids.

What has my experience got to do with it anyhow.

I suppose you have worked in every school in the country and thus know the ins and outs of all of them.

Let's look at this from another angle. I was a disruptive pupil at times in school. Detention was just a joke. Did not deter me at all. Next exclusion - well that really upset me ... or rather didn't as the case was. Expulsion - never came to that because when I was at school the cane was the next answer, but as that is not allowed in schools any more the next step would have been expulsion. And that moves the problem of me to another school. So yes - your wonderful schools with their wonderful dicipline record either (a) had no really difficult pupils or (b) got rid of the really difficult pupils. Jobs a good un.

Throughout my school life there was a knowledge that if I really wanted to make a fool of myself then there was the real prospect of having to face corporal punishment. That in itself was enough for me to keep on the straight and narrow and quite frankly, I never really saw the need to behave like a moron during my time at school.

It would appear most of my school mates felt the same as there wasn't really much trouble in all the schools I attended. I left in 1985 and two years later corporal punishment was outlawed.

How behaviour has changed since then so this sad episode comes as no surprise at all, indeed it is totally predictable but what is refreshing is the outcome.

For once the thug element or the scroungers-of-tomorrow haven't actually won.

Good.

I have no experience of working in schools other than rarely helping out with the occassional fund raiser, but I have plenty of kids.

What has my experience got to do with it anyhow.

Ha ha! You know full well what it has to do with it as evidenced by your next sentence (below). You felt able to dismiss, out of hand, my suggestion that many schools are able to exert discipline without the need for corporal punishment yet you, actually, have no experience to back up your diatribe.

I suppose you have worked in every school in the country and thus know the ins and outs of all of them.

Thanks for returning the favour, Dragon, because this made me chuckle.

You are quite happy to spout your ill-informed, narrow minded twaddle all around this forum and yet you are now suggesting that I would have to have worked in every school in the country in order to have a valid opinion on how schools operate and what may or may not be successful?

Priceless ... thanks!

Long and short of it is, Dragon, I've worked in a number of schools in Sheffield and in Bolton; some with good discipline, some dire. My observations and, indeed, actions during that time have led me to develop the opinion I shared in post #52.

If you'd care to supply enough evidence to the contrary then you may change my opinion.

If you prefer to, simply, chuckle, dismiss out of hand and just provide more of your opinionated tripe then please forgive me if I remain unconvinced by your "argument".

Edited to add:

Oh, and by the way, if you want to see some discipline, come & see one of my lessons some time...

Ha ha! You know full well what it has to do with it as evidenced by your next sentence (below). You felt able to dismiss, out of hand, my suggestion that many schools are able to exert discipline without the need for corporal punishment yet you, actually, have no experience to back up your diatribe.

Thanks for returning the favour, Dragon, because this made me chuckle.

You are quite happy to spout your ill-informed, narrow minded twaddle all around this forum and yet you are now suggesting that I would have to have worked in every school in the country in order to have a valid opinion on how schools operate and what may or may not be successful?

Priceless ... thanks!

Long and short of it is, Dragon, I've worked in a number of schools in Sheffield and in Bolton; some with good discipline, some dire. My observations and, indeed, actions during that time have led me to develop the opinion I shared in post #52.

If you'd care to supply enough evidence to the contrary then you may change my opinion.

If you prefer to, simply, chuckle, dismiss out of hand and just provide more of your opinionated tripe then please forgive me if I remain unconvinced by your "argument".

Edited to add:

Oh, and by the way, if you want to see some discipline, come & see one of my lessons some time...

Prove to everyone where I am wrong then and explain these miraculous dicipline procedures that have made all the schools you have worked in so perfect. I am certain many other schools would like to benefit from your great wisdom in solving all their problems, especially considering the antics of some unruly pupils.

How long do we have to wait before you come up with something other than the three forms of punishment available to schools listed previously, and to explain how these can be effective against pupils who have no concerns about them being implemented?

The second statement I quoted was because I knew it would have something to do with the reason you asked. I am surprised you managed to work in a school with such reasoning as is evident in your reply.

All these schools failing and all the government needs to do is employ you to go round sorting them all out. Perhaps you should notify them of this.

There is a difference between being in a class of obedient children who want nothing more than to learn, and being in a class containing disruptive elements. Enjoy your vain attempts to ridicule me some more as you tell us what you would do with a single unruly child in a lesson you are giving.

Throughout my school life there was a knowledge that if I really wanted to make a fool of myself then there was the real prospect of having to face corporal punishment. That in itself was enough for me to keep on the straight and narrow and quite frankly, I never really saw the need to behave like a moron during my time at school.

It would appear most of my school mates felt the same as there wasn't really much trouble in all the schools I attended. I left in 1985 and two years later corporal punishment was outlawed.

How behaviour has changed since then so this sad episode comes as no surprise at all, indeed it is totally predictable but what is refreshing is the outcome.

For once the thug element or the scroungers-of-tomorrow haven't actually won.

Good.

And the Clare Rayners

Archived