A question for the unemployed.

Well, This makes a month since I was made redundant.

I have sent out countless CVs, registered with a shedload of agencies and been to some interviews (no luck :( )

My day consists of waking p in the morning and seeing my OH off to work.

I prepare myself for work in case an agency needs me at short notice.

I trawl a number of jobs boards for new jobs, applying for any that interest me/are suitable/ well, anything. Then I contact the agencies to remind them I am still looking and ask if any work has come up.

and that gets me to about noon.

In the afternoons, if I don't have an appointment, I've been to industrial estates to apply for work directly, but I've now done that with all the local ones and I am finding myself wasting time on the computer for he afternoons.

I know this has been long winded, but..... what do people do during the day to keep themselves occupied (and sane) ?

How can dole bludgers be happy doing nothing ALL the time, and how do the people who are 'unfortunately unemployed' (victims of the financial climate) cope?

Experience is what employers are looking for. My son graduated with a masters degree in civil engineering 2 years ago and has found no work yet. As time goes on he feels less worthy. The dole have sent him on courses where he was given wordsearches to do. His confidence is shot. I hope things start improving soon:).

Good luck to you though Scozz

I'm not unemployed as such, I'm on long term sickness and disability, but one of the biggest issues for me was a combination of boredom and my brains dribbling gently out of my ears due to not using them.

I've gradually filled as much time as I can with a selection of voluntary jobs, from occasional kitten fostering to managing a local forum ;)

When I first found out that I wasn't going to be able to return to my job and thought that my health problems were going to be temporary I also retrained and did another degree part time to give myself the skills needed to return to work when I had recovered (which sadly didn't happen and isn't likely to happen in the future as I have continued to deteriorate).

So my advice would be either to find somewhere to donate a bit of time doing something helpful to someone else (because helping others is both occupies your time and helps your spirit) or maybe to look into some courses which would help you in future in the jobs market. Many course providers offer courses for free or low course fees for those who are unemployed or in receipt of benefits.

Well, This makes a month since I was made redundant.

I have sent out countless CVs, registered with a shedload of agencies and been to some interviews (no luck :( )

My day consists of waking p in the morning and seeing my OH off to work.

I prepare myself for work in case an agency needs me at short notice.

I trawl a number of jobs boards for new jobs, applying for any that interest me/are suitable/ well, anything. Then I contact the agencies to remind them I am still looking and ask if any work has come up.

and that gets me to about noon.

In the afternoons, if I don't have an appointment, I've been to industrial estates to apply for work directly, but I've now done that with all the local ones and I am finding myself wasting time on the computer for he afternoons.

I know this has been long winded, but..... what do people do during the day to keep themselves occupied (and sane) ?

How can dole bludgers be happy doing nothing ALL the time, and how do the people who are 'unfortunately unemployed' (victims of the financial climate) cope?

Well i am unemployed and like you my routine is exactly the same, but when i do get any free time i pick up a book ar listen to music.

Dont expect to get back in to work so soon i have been looking for over a year now, and i am not one of those dole lovers that sit scratching their arses and watching daytime tv, i actually want to work.

• 2 weeks later...

theres nothing in sheffield anymore in terms of work

everything here depends on the public sector. the council have kindly allowed hundreds of now empty offices to be built during the boom period. they remind me of page 3 girls... they look very nice, but not much going on inside!

you can get all the skills you want, but at the end of the day there is too many people, not enough potential for real jobs... and too much debt.

and now the tories are in, they are going to punish the unlucky ones who cant find work despite trying so hard. while the ones with loads of kids, who are sat outside the pubs in town at 11am having a pint every day while smoking a few cigs... they will go unpunished.

i really had high hopes for our new government. i hope they know what they are doing in the long term. this sitution cannot carry on forever.

• 2 months later...

Archived