Belgium votes to ban burka

Yes they're individual "by laws" but by their very nature are discriminatory but motorcyclists just get on with it but i suspect if this was asked of people wearing burkas there would be a heavy cry of discrimination

Yes they're individual "by laws" but by their very nature are discriminatory but motorcyclists just get on with it but i suspect if this was asked of people wearing burkas there would be a heavy cry of discrimination

They're not 'by laws' either, they're commercial decisions banks and retailers make about who they allow on their premises and what they permit them to wear.

Crash helmet wearers are not criminalised if they refuse to remove their helmets, nor are they arrested if they choose to wear them walking down the street.

Motorcyclists probably do 'get on with it', but I've yet to see one who is wears a helmet because of a deeply held religious conviction.

It might be mumbo-jumbo to you and me, but to some people it's very important, so it's not something I believe the state should interfere with.

They're not 'by laws' either, they're commercial decisions banks and retailers make about who they allow on their premises and what they permit them to wear.

Crash helmet wearers are not criminalised if they refuse to remove their helmets, nor are they arrested if they choose to wear them walking down the street.

Motorcyclists probably do 'get on with it', but I've yet to see one who is wears a helmet because of a deeply held religious conviction.

It might be mumbo-jumbo to you and me, but to some people it's very important, so it's not something I believe the state should interfere with.

I kept quiet until I saw this. Are you saying that the burkha is a religious garment - even though a majority say it isn't and is worn purely through choice of the individual?

I think telling people what they can and cannot wear is an excellent example of bigotry.

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigotry

You mean like people who come here and choose to live as if in another country and care nothing about trying to fit into the society that has adopted them ?

And like people coming here and then expecting the law and the society of the indigenous people to change and accommodate their own devoted opinions and prejudices ?

I think that is exactly the problem and one of the reasons to call for a ban. You can throw words around all day but we life in a democracy and I would like to see this issue to go to some sort of referendum and get it all over and done with. Then once its law you can stop with the Bigot label.

You mean like people who come here and choose to live as if in another country and care nothing about trying to fit into the society that has adopted them ?

And like people coming here and then expecting the law and the society of the indigenous people to change and accommodate their own devoted opinions and prejudices ?

I think that is exactly the problem and one of the reasons to call for a ban. You can throw words around all day but we life in a democracy and I would like to see this issue to go to some sort of referendum and get it all over and done with. Then once its law you can stop with the Bigot label.

I feel sure if there was a referendum the result would be a ban of the burka,the only trouble is the politicians dont have the balls to do it.

Archived