Belgium votes to ban burka

And like people coming here and then expecting the law and the society of the indigenous people to change and accommodate their own devoted opinions and prejudices ?

A ridiculous argument. If there is currently no law banning the wearing of the burka then how can anybody be 'coming here and then expecting the law and the society of the indigenous people to change'?

I kept quiet until I saw this. Are you saying that the burkha is a religious garment - even though a majority say it isn't and is worn purely through choice of the individual?

I've no idea, I'm not seeking to justify it-I'm suggesting reasons why banning it wouldn't be justified.

What the majority say is irrelevant, it's what the individual believes that's relevant and I'm under the impression it's wearing is because of a deeply held conviction, whether it has some religious connotation isn't important to me, it's anachronistic just as someone heavily tattoed, with piercings and a mohican is, but that's their choice and provided it doesn't interfere with me, they should be able to wear what they want.

• 4 weeks later...
Whilst in Tangiers we were told there was no religious reason for a woman to wear a burka only to cover their hair. It was jealous husbands who insisted on them covering their faces.

This legislation could benefit women.

If the women want to wear the burka then clearly limiting their choice is a detriment.

If the women are forced to wear the burka when they go out, then this law is likely to prevent them from leaving their homes. Again another detriment.

I really can't see why people think restricting what women choose to wear is anything but an unjustified intrusion on people's liberty.

I've no idea, I'm not seeking to justify it-I'm suggesting reasons why banning it wouldn't be justified.

What the majority say is irrelevant, it's what the individual believes that's relevant and I'm under the impression it's wearing is because of a deeply held conviction, whether it has some religious connotation isn't important to me, it's anachronistic just as someone heavily tattoed, with piercings and a mohican is, but that's their choice and provided it doesn't interfere with me, they should be able to wear what they want.

I am an individual. Part of my witch attire - part of my religion - requires me to wear a full sized ritual sword. Even though I cannot carry this, my religion dictates that I should wear a ritual knife - a proper knife that some would call an Athame. I am also supposed to use a boline in order to acquire the tools of my trade. The law states that I cannot carry any of these things - so I do not. I struggle and I improvise so as to adhere to the law.

My sword, athame, and boline have no affect on you or anyone else. But I dare say you would not be happy if you saw witches walking around with their religious tools of the trade.

Where do you draw the line? Just at what is acceptable for ethnic minorities?

I am an individual. Part of my witch attire - part of my religion - requires me to wear a full sized ritual sword. Even though I cannot carry this, my religion dictates that I should wear a ritual knife - a proper knife that some would call an Athame. I am also supposed to use a boline in order to acquire the tools of my trade. The law states that I cannot carry any of these things - so I do not. I struggle and I improvise so as to adhere to the law.

My sword, athame, and boline have no affect on you or anyone else. But I dare say you would not be happy if you saw witches walking around with their religious tools of the trade.

Perhaps, you draw the line where the religious item could be a danger?

I might be wrong but I seem to recall Sikhs getting around the ban on carrying knives by glueing them in to their holders, so they could not be drawn.

Perhaps, you draw the line where the religious item could be a danger?

I might be wrong but I seem to recall Sikhs getting around the ban on carrying knives by glueing them in to their holders, so they could not be drawn.

Perhaps you could consider the burka as dangerous as you cannot tell who is beneath one.

I got pulled by the police for having my sword scabbard with just the handle attached to it - no blade. This is hardly a dangerous weapon, but I was informed that carrying it on display could be dangerous and was advised - and I do stress only advised - not to carry it.

I am an English man and abide by the law even though it impinges on my religious practice. And I am not just talking about my tools. I am talking about my practices. If I can give up these things so as to abide by the law, then why shouldn't immigrants or people of other faiths. If you do not like the law of the land - leave.

I've got a few mates who are into battle re-enactments, lovely people, but a strange alternative pursuit.

By the way, we were talking about the burka Dragon of Ana not the carrying of an item that could be construed as a weapon.

Banning the burka, an item of clothing-where do we draw the line?

Ps: I'm an 'ethnic minority' and Im perfectly happy in my Farah's and tank top.

Archived