Belgium votes to ban burka

If I can give up these things so as to abide by the law, then why shouldn't immigrants or people of other faiths. If you do not like the law of the land - leave.

Except the law of the land permits Burkas. Anyone expressing the view that banning people from wearing one, does more harm than good is participating in our democracy.

I've got a few mates who are into battle re-enactments, lovely people, but a strange alternative pursuit.

By the way, we were talking about the burka Dragon of Ana not the carrying of an item that could be construed as a weapon.

Banning the burka, an item of clothing-where do we draw the line?

Ps: I'm an 'ethnic minority' and Im perfectly happy in my Farah's and tank top.

If you had read my previous post you will see that I was advised against carrying an empty sheath with a handle glued to the top because of the danger it could pose to myself. This is not an item that can be used as a weapon.

But I get your point. And I disagree about the burka and it's religious foundation - but only because of what I have read - that it is optional and many muslims do Not wear it.

Except the law of the land permits Burkas. Anyone expressing the view that banning people from wearing one, does more harm than good is participating in our democracy.

I thought this thread was about banning it here in Britain. If that happens then it will be illegal. Will these muslims stop wearing it? Will there be a massive outcry? Or will they simply leave?

New laws are coming into place every day. Laws that affect our freedoms. But of course these affect all and not just muslims so that is probably why you have a problem with this particular law coming into being.

If you had read my previous post you will see that I was advised against carrying an empty sheath with a handle glued to the top because of the danger it could pose to myself. This is not an item that can be used as a weapon.

Sorry fella, it's an old thread, I didnt check back at the previous posts.

But I get your point. And I disagree about the burka and it's religious foundation - but only because of what I have read - that it is optional and many muslims do Not wear it.

All I'm supporting is their 'right' to wear it or not wear it, not the religion they subscribe to.

If this were a thread about Nuns being banned from wearing their headresses then I'd be fully supporting their right to do so.

So if Islam requires people to adhere to certain dress code, then Islam is a bigot/

I don't think anyone is trying to recruit anyone to Islam and its dress codes on this thread.

The point being made is that Belgium's decision is an unwarranted restriction on freedom of expression, that does more harm than it does good.

I thought this thread was about banning it here in Britain. If that happens then it will be illegal. Will these muslims stop wearing it? Will there be a massive outcry? Or will they simply leave?

I thought it was about the ban in Belgium.

Probably a combination of all of them, and furthermore some women may be unwilling to leave their homes.

New laws are coming into place every day. Laws that affect our freedoms. But of course these affect all and not just muslims so that is probably why you have a problem with this particular law coming into being.

Not sure what you are getting at here? :huh:

So if Islam requires people to adhere to certain dress code, then Islam is a bigot/

That may be so, but I've no interest in Islam, merely the freedoms of the individuals who abide by it to wear the clothes they want to wear, I think banning it because it's a religious diktat or imposed on some women by some men, is a weak argument, as it replaces one compunction with another imposed by us.

Archived