Belgium votes to ban burka

Grey area. Some women want to wear it and some women don't.

I have heard of women that wear it because their husbands have told them to but I have met women that want to wear it.

You cannot ban something from someone that doesn't harm others. I don't see the Burka as a bad thing as long as women choose to wear it.

Grey area. Some women want to wear it and some women don't.

I have heard of women that wear it because their husbands have told them to but I have met women that want to wear it.

You cannot ban something from someone that doesn't harm others. I don't see the Burka as a bad thing as long as women choose to wear it.

While ever they can present a security risk etc I think a ban is perfectly justified, the possibility of abuse along these and other lines far outweighs the rights issues.

While ever they can present a security risk etc I think a ban is perfectly justified, the possibility of abuse along these and other lines far outweighs the rights issues.

How is it a security risk? Majority of attacks, the people were not Burka wearers, or am I missing something?

Didn't Turkey ban them about 90 years ago?

Yes. It became a secular country around 1923 at the instigation of Mustafa Kamal, the mighty Ataturk, who wanted to modernise society on Western lines and build nationhood.

He also banned turbans and the fez, introduced modern education policies, political rights for women, Latin alphabet rather than the arabic script, and the democratisation of government.

He is still revered today, and it is illegal in Turkey to enter any government building wearing a burka.

yes for the greater good, as i think far more are forced to wear it.

How is it for the greater good?

By banning it you restrict those that want to wear it from acting out their wants and those that don't want to wear it but are forced to end up banned from leaving the house.

A ban however you look at it does harm and no good.

It certainly would have stopped the murderer of the Bradford WPC from escaping whilst wearing one.

It never formed a part of his prosecution, he denied it and it is a pretty stupid disguise.

When he goes through passport control and they check under the veil to compare him with his passport photo do you not think that the fact he is a man and not a woman would defeat any benefit the disguise might have for being inconspicuous?

It certainly would have stopped the murderer of the Bradford WPC from escaping whilst wearing one.

similar to omar bakri leaving britain and they didn't know he'd gone and he was being watched by our secret services and he just went as he was. :hihi:

Archived