Ghost estates in Ireland

I found this article really interesting and astonishing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8653949.stm

There are 621 ghost estates across Ireland now, a legacy of those hopeful years. One in five Irish homes is unoccupied.

If the country immediately used them to house every person on the social housing list, there would still be hundreds of thousands left over.

County Leitrim alone would have needed about 590 new houses between 2006 and 2009 to accommodate its population growth. It got 2,945.

It got me thinking, wouldn't a bargain 5 bed holiday home in the Irish country be nice, and also being as the UK has an under supply of affordable housing, why don't the Irish and UK Government provide some sort of re-settlement grants for UK based families to move to ROI.

I found this article really interesting and astonishing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8653949.stm

It got me thinking, wouldn't a bargain 5 bed holiday home in the Irish country be nice, and also being as the UK has an under supply of affordable housing, why don't the Irish and UK Government provide some sort of re-settlement grants for UK based families to move to ROI.

Ireland are really suffering financially, I think that their public sector workers have took a pay cut, so I don't think that there are that many jobs to accommodate any influx of Brits.

I saw something on BBC news about these estates. They plan to bulldoze many of them. Would it not make sense to demolish older houses and let people move to these ones very cheaply? Surely they have thought of that so there must be a reason why not.

Amazing, like a mass delusion. 'Was that us?' indeed. It's going to look more and more strange as time goes on, like we look back on people going bankrupt for a tulip bulb.

And how stands the situation here with our blocks of surplus luxury box rooms?

I saw something on BBC news about these estates. They plan to bulldoze many of them. Would it not make sense to demolish older houses and let people move to these ones very cheaply? Surely they have thought of that so there must be a reason why not.

I think part of the problem is that they are in the back of beyond with little employment or public services.

My wife's folks live in the countryside 30 miles from Dublin. They've got the estates near them, in (once) tiny villages with poor infrastructure and transport links. Nobody really wants to live in them. Her family did well for a while as they are into scaffolding, kitchen fitting and tiling. All that work has dried up not surprisingly.

In Germany they're bulldozing entire towns. It's caused by a combination of people moving out of eastern German towns to live further west and a very low birth rate in Germany. They can't maintain their population. It's thought the rest of Europe is likely to follow.

Archived