Ghost estates in Ireland

Ireland are really suffering financially, I think that their public sector workers have took a pay cut, so I don't think that there are that many jobs to accommodate any influx of Brits.

But, but, but ... immigration is supposed to create jobs.

Isn't it?

:hihi:

Does it have to be an influx of Brits? As part of the EU can't any citizens of member states migrate to Ireland?

Got married in a village called Rathmolyon which is where my in-laws live. A new estate went up just near the village. These are some bits from the local area plan:

2.2 Population Context

The population of Rathmolyon declined by 18.4% between 1996 and 2006 from 206 to 168. The rate of decline between 2002 and 2006 fell to 13.4%.

2.3 Recent Growth

The population of the village declined even though 143 dwellings were completed between 1996 and 2001. The figures below refer to the E.D. of Rathmolyon.

41 private dwellings were built between 2001 and 2006.

102 private dwellings were built between 1996 and 2000.

96 private dwellings predate 1940 out of a total of 374

168 people, 374 dwellings!!!!!! :loopy:

2.5 Commercial Development

Rathmolyon has a limited range of retail services. The village would benefit from having a greater range and variety of retail facilities. There are two public houses, one shop, one post office and a hairdresser in Rathmolyon.

2.8 Movement and Access

Rathmolyon is served by a poor level of public transport. Bus Eireann provides a bus service to and from Dublin and Summerhill to the East and Mullingar to the West. A limited rail service is available from Enfield.

The roads leading to Trim, Mullingar and Enfield are circuitous.

Recent housing schemes are laid out in a way that facilitates the development of an internal network of cycle ways and footpaths. The provision of these will allow for safe access to the centre and the schools, and a reduction in journey distances and times. They will encourage

movement along secondary routes independent of the Main Street and the use of motor vehicles

2.9.1 Water Supply

There is no public water supply in Rathmolyon. A group water supply scheme with 1000p.e. will be completed by the spring of 2009. The water is being sourced from Trim.

Pending resolution of issues relating to water supply, priority will be given both to community facilities and to employment generating developments.

If I had a bit of money (well, a few million) I'd buy a whole estate and turn it into a Butlins come Center Parcs sort of venture and do package holidays.

You could call it 'Ing O ' Mells'.....:hihi::hihi:

History repeating itself. When I was a kid growing up in Ireland in the 70s, there were stacks of abandoned cottages all over the countryside, because many people either emigrated or moved to the cities. As a result, the poulation declined. To any Irish person over 40 who ever ventured outside a city, the sight of large numbers of abandoned homes will not be unfamiliar.

There's still loads of abandoned properties out there from the last time the population declined too, I go to Ireland regularly as I have family there and it's a strange sight to see loads of old, abandoned places mixed in with the brand new places.

Found some Japanese ghost towns, not new builds though. Bet these ghost towns are a bit eerie.

http://www.asylum.com/2010/02/24/10-japanese-ghost-towns-love-hotel-toyo-bowling-alley-sports-world-russian-village-theme-park/

Always wanted to visit this place:

http://www.bonniehamre.com/Chile/Sewell.htm

The town is now completely abandoned (once had 16000 inhabitants) although the mines continued to operate

Archived