Vote Tory and you are voting to work until you are 66!

No, you are claiming that they are wrong. Explain yourself.

That would be difficult without knowing the calcualtions theyve used.

But I'll have a try using myself as an example:

If I reach 65 as things stand I get a Pension of £110 a week or whatever the current rate is, I own my home and I have no dependant children so I get no other help.

I then free up a job for someone unemployed, he may be single and claiming Housing Benefit, or he may have a family and be claim all Benefits available.

So he takes my job and the welfare bill reduces immediately by his weekly total, whilst only giving me £110 a week.

His sums don't add up, the man is an idiot and shouldn't be trusted with these decisions.

Try again please. Explain why they are wrong, not why you think that they are wrong. If their sums don't add up, explain why.

Poor response there, I've identified why I believe it makes no sense and your only comeback is to ask me to explain something that is impossible to do without recourse to the calculations they've made.

Perhaps a supporter of their party could explain the calculation and then it could be discussed, until then I welcome responses that show how my calculations are wrong.

Titanic, have you considered that unemployment will be a relatively short term problem, but the looming pension crisis will be a huge problem that this country has to some how find a way around, and raising the age of retirement will be the first steps in the search for a solution.

Titanic, have you considered that unemployment will be a relatively short term problem, but the looming pension crisis will be a huge problem that this country has to some how find a way around, and raising the age of retirement will be the first steps in the search for a solution.

I've considered it but on checking through previous Tory administrations I've yet to find a period of low unemployment.

But then again I wouldn't expect that, they are a party for businesses and businesses like a few million unemployed as it drives the cost of employing people down.

Yet you're able to draw the conclusion in the thread title?

Yep for the reasons previously stated.

It really is quite simple, get a Tory government and you are consigning yourself to another year at work and another poor soul to another years unemployment.

Hardly sensible on either factor.

I've considered it but on checking through previous Tory administrations I've yet to find a period of low unemployment.

But then again I wouldn't expect that, they are a party for businesses and businesses like a few million unemployed as it drives the cost of employing people down.

So you tried to think about it, but your prejudices got in the way of any in-depth analysis.

The fact is, the pension crisis is a monumental problem looming up on the horizon, raising the retirement age is one tools that any government will have use in an effort to solve the problem.

Poor response there, I've identified why I believe it makes no sense and your only comeback is to ask me to explain something that is impossible to do without recourse to the calculations they've made.

Perhaps a supporter of their party could explain the calculation and then it could be discussed, until then I welcome responses that show how my calculations are wrong.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to push you here.

You are the one with the assertions that Conservative policy is wrong. Please show us why they are wrong rather than why you think they are wrong.

Alternatively you can retract your assertion that Conservative policy is wrong, or say that you are wrong.

So you tried to think about it, but your prejudices got in the way of any in-depth analysis.

The fact is, the pension crisis is a monumental problem looming up on the horizon, raising the retirement age is one tools that any government will have use in an effort to solve the problem.

No prejudices at all, I don't like this for the reasons stated.

I am aware that people are living longer and this needs to be funded, presumably the logic of this policy is that the saving comes from not paying the state pension out for a year which will equate to around £5,500 per person affected.

However, this is only a saving if no-one would have replaced the person retiring and if the employer has to fill the vacancy then we are paying for someone to be unemployed for another year which costs considerably more than the cost of the pension.

So I'm not in denial of the problem, it just looks like they have taken this in isolation without considering the knock-on affects of it.

Archived