The Guardian has abandoned Labour & backed the Lib-Dems

Hold on, why does this matter? Guardian readers think for themselves don't they? Surely they don't just vote for who they are told to? Like the readers of the Sun are told to do?

You mean the headline after the election will be "It's The Gruniad which effected the victory"?

The Guardian has ended its decades old love-in with the Labour party.

the love-in isn't as many decades old as all that. The Guardian endorsed the Liberal/SDP Alliance in 1083 and didn't endorse anybody at all in 1987. Those with longer memories may remember the then Manchester Guardian supported the Conservatives in 1955.

curiously, the only UK broadsheet to endorse the Labour party in 1987 was The Financial Times.

Cripes. I didn't know the Graunida was even in print back then! Come to think of it, the Liberal/SDP Alliance probably wasn't up to much considering this was only 17 years after Britain was conquered by the Normans.

Cripes. I didn't know the Graunida was even in print back then! Come to think of it, the Liberal/SDP Alliance probably wasn't up to much considering this was only 17 years after Britain was conquered by the Normans.

Haha, brilliant little typo. I have an image of William the Conqueror arguing it out with Shirley Williams over 'fair taxation'. Mind you, she is no spring chicken!

In seriousness, it is a brilliant editorial. It pretty much sums up exactly what my thoughts are on this election: electoral reform is simply too big an opportunity to miss. Very reasonable and considered discussion of the three parties too.

Don' think it'll make a huge difference in itself - most readers will vote Lab/Lib anyway I'd guess (though there do seem to be a lot of small 'c' social conservatives who read The Guardian). It does, however, just add to that general air that this time round voting for the Lib Dems might not be a waste of time. It also maintains the feeling that they are very much on an upward trajectory against one stagnant, out of touch party, and another which seems exhausted, divided and demoralised after thirteen years of government.

The Guardian has ended it's decades old love in with the Labour Party.

Tomorrows editorial declares their allegiance to the Lib-Dems.

General election 2010: The liberal moment has come

The Guardian has always been a realistic paper.

The Sun supports the Nasty Party - just a stunt.

Archived