Marquis of Granby Disco.

Yes, that's Chris, wonder what he is doing now ? :)

I believe he's still a turner at Forged Rolls, at the time of the Marquis incident I was working on the next machine to him. He was a good bloke to work with.

Sheffield, the big village, rings true again.

I don't suppose you knew Jeremy (Jay) Butters as well, he was a school friend of mine but he also knew Chris quite well. He lived in the Netheredge area.

I believe he's still a turner at Forged Rolls, at the time of the Marquis incident I was working on the next machine to him. He was a good bloke to work with.

Sheffield, the big village, rings true again.

I don't suppose you knew Jeremy (Jay) Butters as well, he was a school friend of mine but he also knew Chris quite well. He lived in the Netheredge area.

I didn't know Jeremy I regret, but I've just remembered that Chris called his machine something like '' Big Nora ''. :)

I didn't know Jeremy I regret, but I've just remembered that Chris called his machine something like '' Big Nora ''. :)

Those machines were on the large size, One memory was of a turning flying off and hitting poor old Chris in the face. It managed to break his nose and made a fair mess of him :o

• 2 years later...

My nephew found this last week. It is a long time since these posts and "WardsBitter" has now closed his account but I am the "Jenny Ward" he mentioned "little blonde lass - worked in reception" and I am really intrigued as he knew where I lived before I moved there and he knew my husband's name as well, does anyone know who "WardsBitter" was please?

It goes without saying that I have so many memories of the Marquis, I moved there to work and live in when I was 16 and left to get married and move to London when I was 19, they were some of the best days of my life and I am so sad to see it almost all gone. I wonder what they did with the Oak panelling that came from the SS Olympic, or that beautiful revolving door?

Any news gratefully received!

J

My nephew found this last week. It is a long time since these posts and "WardsBitter" has now closed his account but I am the "Jenny Ward" he mentioned "little blonde lass - worked in reception" and I am really intrigued as he knew where I lived before I moved there and he knew my husband's name as well, does anyone know who "WardsBitter" was please?

It goes without saying that I have so many memories of the Marquis, I moved there to work and live in when I was 16 and left to get married and move to London when I was 19, they were some of the best days of my life and I am so sad to see it almost all gone. I wonder what they did with the Oak panelling that came from the SS Olympic, or that beautiful revolving door?

Any news gratefully received!

J

Did you know a Joan Minogue who worked there for a number of years?

Sorry no I didn't know Joan Minogue. I was there from 69 to 72 I went through 3 Managers: Eric Bacon, Mick Emery (the best) and Alan Davis (the less said the better). We had an old barman called Albert who taught my husband all he knew about keeping real beer, in the restaurant were Jim and Jules (Julie as mentioned in an earlier posting), we also had a head waiter for a while called Oliver (he was spooky) but eventually Jim and Jules ran it between them. Kath ran the housekeeping and Joyce was the stalwart who manned the cocktail bar every weekend. Graham came out from Sheffield every weekend night to work in the disco bar. Tim Reed was asst manager for a while then Eric (still my husband) took over that role.

Mick and Jo Emery were a great management couple and we kept in touch with them for years and years, Albert came to see us also but sadly died (he was 80 then)!

As I did the wages I would have remembered Joan if she had been there with me but she wasn't (at least I don't remember so).

On an earlier note, John (Marvin Blue) was a great guy, loved him to bits, when we left to get married he gave us "our record" as a gift, can still see him now up on that stage!

Joan may well have been there after you. She was - I believe - in a management capacity of some kind. She came from the same Parish in Ireland as my mother. Her father Dennis owned one of the pubs in the village. I went to school with her younger brother Dennis Oliver known as 'Dinny OL'. He was, let us say, ' a character'.

She returned to Ireland in the late 80s or early 90s & the last time I saw her was at an aunt of mines funeral in 1993. Minogue is a County Clare name & very common in the county.

I remember going to the disco at the Marquis on a number of occasions back in the late 60s early 70s. Have you seen what's happened to it?

Yes I saw it this weekend when we went back to visit relatives, it so saddened me, heads should roll! I remember we had a little man called Cyril who lovingly tended the rose garden, now it is covered in great heaps of rubble, and all that lovely stone just used to build a wall!

My nephew told me that they have been stopped doing anything with it due to bats - well good on them I say!

The daft thing about in my view is that the structure left standing is less pleasant to look at than the part they demolished! Obviously the remains are listed, but in a world where they list Hyde Park flats I suppose we shouldn't be surprised at any of it.

Archived