Gu N play In Front Ot buses.

Was something my Daddy said to me quite often when I was a tousle headed little cherub on the Cross in the 60s.

For non Sheffielders and people who consider themselves too posh to understand, I`ll translate for you.

`Gu N play in front ot buses` Means `Go and play in front of the buses`

I was also asked on frequent occasions to `Float!` or `Tek thi `ook!` and when I was Ill, I wasnt really ill, I was `Badly.`

I didnt have ribs or a gut, I had `Rops` and I was often told `I`ll stuff this into thi rops if tha dunt Be-Ave!` by my mummy as she waved the kitchen knife in my direction.

I now live in Leicestershire and enjoy using these sayings simply to confound the locals here and the closest saying they have to anything Ive heared is `Go and play on the motorway!`

Mind you, they dont say `Mester` or `Mister` here, they call men `Master`-- which gives me a nice warm herrenvolk feeling in my tummy when someone says `Excuse me, master, can you tell me the time, please?`

I like that, I like being called Master... Yeah...

Anyway, Ive forgotten what I was leading up to now because as Im typing Im being ordered by my OH to go and help in the kitchen.... So much for master, eh?

I remember `Tek yer `ook` and `Off `t ooks`, one meaning bugger off and the other meaning Illness. ` `Es off t` ooks` or `Badly`

Im gonna google the Hook thing to try to find out its origins. I thought that Off the hooks meant out of trouble.

Just remembered `A good hiding` when you were smacked or threatened with a smack... `I`ll gi thee a bloody good `idin in a minute!`

Or.. `I`ll gi thi sum fist!` or ` A fistin!` ....come to think of it.... offering to give someone a fisting.... I suppose that wouldnt be taken in the same way today...

what else did our Mum used to say?

if we shouted "Muuuum!" she's say "I've run off wi' a black man!" or "I'm changing my fuffing name. To dad!!"

If we asked for a drink of pop, she's tell us to have some water.

"But I don't want water!", We'd protest.

"Tha Can 'Ave watter. It's what meks't lions roar!"

Archived