Gu N play In Front Ot buses.

PT, if i asked my dad where my mum was he used to say, "she,s run off with a black man" :hihi:

I suppose that must have been one of those typcial "daft things adults say to kids".

I also remember my gran protesting, if we were tormenting her to come and play a game with us, she'd say "Ohh I cant! I've got a bone in my leg/arm!!!"

I remember a bloke when I was a kid, he used to... Bend the index finger of his left hand and bite it.... then raise his right thumb and sort of...wiggle it about... He`d walk around like this in a crouching position and sort of ...Investigate objects with his wiggly thumb... and if anyone spoke to him he`d scream "WALK TO WAKEFIELD!" and sweary things and jump up and down on the spot, still madly biting his index finger and frantically waggling his thumb.

PT, if i asked my dad where my mum was he used to say, "she,s run off with a black man" :hihi:

My dad used to say this too. If he got his coat on and we asked him where he was going, he used to say he was 'goin to see a man about a dog'.

"Rops" shows the survival of Old English words into dialects, as it is derived from the Anglo-Saxon word "ropp", preserved in medical texts of the time. It survived into Middle English (13th century) but was replaced by other words such as intestines. Rops is listed in S. O. Addy's Glossary of Words Used in the Neighbourhood of Sheffield (1888) as meaning intestines.

My dad used to say this too. If he got his coat on and we asked him where he was going, he used to say he was 'goin to see a man about a dog'.

My dad (Barnsley born) used that phrase and the one about mum running off with a black man.

And, if my brother and I kept asking what was for tea, he'd say, "Sh * t wi' sugar on." There was another, rather more polite, phrase that he sometimes used, but I can't remember what it was.

My dad (Barnsley born) used that phrase and the one about mum running off with a black man.

And, if my brother and I kept asking what was for tea, he'd say, "Sh * t wi' sugar on." There was another, rather more polite, phrase that he sometimes used, but I can't remember what it was.

Have heard all these from my family. My mothers side of the family were from barnsley too and my dad's side were from mexborough (grandma) and tibshelf(grandad).

Archived