Why are people bothered about racist remarks aimed at them ?

I have had racist remarks said to me when living in another country and it didnt bother me one bit

Probably because racist remarks were something of an unpleasant 'novelty' to you, whereas for many other people, such verbal abuse, along with being treated with suspicion, being lied to to cause inconvenience, being lied about to provoke hatred from others, getting poor service, being ignored, being passed over in favour of others, even being assaulted, purely based on skin colour would be the sort of discrimination that they, their parents and their grandparents would have had to endure on a regular basis.

so why do certain people make a meal of it ?

Your turn of phrase shows that you do not have the foggiest notion what it's like to suffer the real effects of racism, regardless of whatever prejudiced comments you may have received abroad.

Is it a chance for the racist in themselves to come out and cause as much trouble as they can ?

And that accusation says a great deal about you.

Didn't take long for a cheerleader to appear (a very predictable one)>>

Ive been racially abused myself and i have to say its not worth getting upset about. I think some have this victim mentality and are always looking to be insulted and obviously theres also cash to be made from such insults.

Another person who would always be in the firing line, no doubt. :rolleyes:

Of course, the fact of the matter is that these people have no need to worry themselves about the occasional prejudiced remarks, simply because racism has no impact at all on their day-to-day well being and therefore their motivation for these comments is highly suspect. :suspect:

Whether a racist remark - I remember when the first Indian came into the Pen Nook in Deepcar and the local neanderthal saying "it's gone dark in here" - or calling somebody "spotty" - it is all a form of bullying which we can do without.

Whether a racist remark - I remember when the first Indian came into the Pen Nook in Deepcar and the local neanderthal saying "it's gone dark in here" - or calling somebody "spotty" - it is all a form of bullying which we can do without.
Well said, that was the point I was trying to make earlier. Maybe they'll take it better coming from you. :)

Ahhh g'wan....I'm sure you could do better than that - such a big brave person who is quite happy to call a spade a shovel.

Don't be so modest.

Oh don't, he will only repeat what he always says under any username:hihi:

I have had racist remarks said to me when living in another country and it didnt bother me one bit, so why do certain people make a meal of it ?

Is it a chance for the racist in themselves to come out and cause as much trouble as they can ?

No & No. You might be ok with the next man making racial remarks towards you in another country & not be bothered by it? But there are many people who are effected by racism daily in various forms depending on the level of racism one/they have experienced. Your second Q) You having a laugh? "is it a chance for the racist in themselves to come out & cause as much trouble as they can" You need to read the definition on racism & understand it better as you clearly do not have the concept of the meaning.

People do not make a meal out of it as you eloquently put. First, racial remarks are unfair treatment of, or outright hatred of individuals of a certain race. Secondly there is a law against it The Race Relations Act 1976. It is there for a reason.

Racism is wrong & should not be tolerated.

Archived