Why are people bothered about racist remarks aimed at them ?

When people talk about 'mates' on fora, they don't really mean 'friends in real life'. I think we all know if we were asked to name a set of people who can be relied on to post on any polarised topic, the same names will come up each time.

I'd say that was what would be meant by a 'mate' on the internet. Not that people know one another irl, but that they share an outlook and hold similar views. After a few months it becomes pretty much predictable.

Thankyou Rubydazzler. That sums up what i meant perfectly :)

When people talk about 'mates' on fora, they don't really mean 'friends in real life'. I think we all know if we were asked to name a set of people who can be relied on to post on any polarised topic, the same names will come up each time.

I'd say that was what would be meant by a 'mate' on the internet. Not that people know one another irl, but that they share an outlook and hold similar views. After a few months it becomes pretty much predictable.

Well then it should be easy for him to finmd some threads where me and shims appear together arguing the same thing then, shouldn't it? Especially considering he already claims to have done it. In one minute flat. :hihi:

Well done, you have shown Islamaphobia watch to be dishonest, something anyone with any sense knew already.

Now we'll go to your favourite information source:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamophobia

The Runnymede report identified eight perceptions related to Islamophobia:

1. Islam is seen as a monolithic bloc, static and unresponsive to change.

2. It is seen as separate and "other." It does not have values in common with other cultures, is not affected by them and does not influence them.

3. It is seen as inferior to the West. It is seen as barbaric, irrational, primitive, and sexist.

4. It is seen as violent, aggressive, threatening, supportive of terrorism, and engaged in a clash of civilizations.

5. It is seen as a political ideology, used for political or military advantage.

6. Criticisms made of "the West" by Muslims are rejected out of hand.

7. Hostility towards Islam is used to justify discriminatory practices towards Muslims and exclusion of Muslims from mainstream society.

8. Anti-Muslim hostility is seen as natural and normal.[23]

So in other words, accusing people of being mates on forums just because they hold similar views is an attempt to suppress people with shared views expressing themselves, or an attempt to discredit their views as tactical to avoid addressing them directly?

Now we'll go to your favourite information source:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamophobia

The Runnymede report identified eight perceptions related to Islamophobia:

1. Islam is seen as a monolithic bloc, static and unresponsive to change.

2. It is seen as separate and "other." It does not have values in common with other cultures, is not affected by them and does not influence them.

3. It is seen as inferior to the West. It is seen as barbaric, irrational, primitive, and sexist.

4. It is seen as violent, aggressive, threatening, supportive of terrorism, and engaged in a clash of civilizations.

5. It is seen as a political ideology, used for political or military advantage.

6. Criticisms made of "the West" by Muslims are rejected out of hand.

7. Hostility towards Islam is used to justify discriminatory practices towards Muslims and exclusion of Muslims from mainstream society.

8. Anti-Muslim hostility is seen as natural and normal.[23]

8 perceptions related to Islamophobia, yes.

That is precisely what the list is. It is not however an attempt at a definition as Islamaphobia watch argued and as you repeated.

Well then it should be easy for him to finmd some threads where me and shims appear together arguing the same thing then, shouldn't it? Especially considering he already claims to have done it. In one minute flat. :hihi:
I think if we could be bothered, we could all find threads like that about one another. You'll find threads where tab1 and myself are bludgeoning one another to the death and others where we're like two little lovebirds tweeting the same tune ;)

But then, most of my arguing is done from personal, rather than ideological pov so I can veer from one view to another on any given topic.

So in other words, accusing people of being mates on forums just because they hold similar views is an attempt to suppress people with shared views expressing themselves, or an attempt to discredit their views as tactical to avoid addressing them directly?

Exactly. Its a tactic used by some people when they are unable to address challenges to their arguments.

I think if we could be bothered, we could all find threads like that about one another. .

That is exactly what he said he did. He said he had read our post histories, and established we were 'mates'. An operation which apparently took him one minute to perform.

Archived