Why are people bothered about racist remarks aimed at them ?

Of course there's an agenda...Just because you allegedly don't get upset that's good enough reason not to fight insult? The agenda is...I don't get upset so others shouldn't too...hey let's have a free for all based on our own paranoia....the racists/haters would just love that...wouldn't they?

Tell me Jongo...do you go around insulting people regardless of their colour, size, beliefs, clothing, choice of music? You probably do considering you don't think it's an issue. You said it...no one else.

Seems to me that the only one with any kind of agenda / problem with this thread is yourself

What you say about me and an agenda is complete trash, do you get some sort of kick out trying to tell people what they meant to say?

Have you no thoughts of your own to contribute?

Taxman has highlighted the problem of how one should react to verbal racism......and the fact that it doesn 't make the fact of racist abuse o.k.

Well, that 's true ! However, I THINK the point trying to be made by the O.P. is that if we react seriously .....or in a ' thin-skinned ' manner, the abuser thinks he has done a great job. If we joke about it.....or ignore it.....the abuser might well get bored and give it up as a bad job.

Even more useless, in my view anyway, is trying to legislate on people 's opinions, views, attitudes.....etc......and how those opinions....etc.... are expressed. The racism then goes ' underground ' and becomes more vicious and more poisonous......perhaps even violent ? Time & time again History has shown that people don 't easily give up deeply felt beliefs or opinions or personal habits ; if they like.....or hate.... somebody or something, passing a law won 't change them. However, our rule-bound, over-zealous governments keep trying.......and wasting loadsa money in the process !

I agree with you. Being redheaded, old, fat, female and shortsighted, my life is a nightmare! :) I can take offfence at almost every remark or joke ever made these days.

The major difference is that it's not illegal to be gingerist, ageist, fattist or sexist. People should learn to roll with the punches without having recourse to the courts. Whenever someone wants to bully, have a go or be cruel to another, they'll say whatever they think will upset you most and half the time don't even mean it. They just want to hurt your feelings for some reason.

Laugh in their faces, that upsets them far more than crying about it. As you obviously know anyway, being a person that is more than willing to fight fire with fire, from your posts :)

Palace have equalised!

So, why is the law not the same for all then Ruby ?

I only asked cos I need a good recipe for rice balls and the local chinky won't give me one - a recipe that is. Oooo-er!

Tried Googling but none of the recipes look right.

Hmmm... my mum practically grew up on glutinous rice balls. Her mum used to make them, but she passed away years ago so I can't ask her how she made them. Why don't you buy some from the Chinese shop? :D

As a Scot living in Yorkshire I've only ever once been spoken to negatively because of my accent/background. When I was a housing officer in Rotherham, a tenant didn't want to deal with me as he didn't like Scots. He said it was because he'd lived beside one who played the bagpipes.:roll: That would be like me saying I didn't like people from Yorkshire because I'd met one who had daft ideas about Scots people and bagpipes. ;)

He wasn't the sharpest knife in the box, so he may seriously have believed we all have a bagpipe fetish. Perish the thought!

Anyone who is reasonably intelligent just wouldn't go around making remarks that might insult or offend others (racist, ageist, sizeist or whatever). Would we? Of course not.

As a Scot living in Yorkshire I've only ever once been spoken to negatively because of my accent/background. When I was a housing officer in Rotherham, a tenant didn't want to deal with me as he didn't like Scots. He said it was because he'd lived beside one who played the bagpipes.:roll: That would be like me saying I didn't like people from Yorkshire because I'd met one who had daft ideas about Scots people and bagpipes. ;)

He wasn't the sharpest knife in the box, so he may seriously have believed we all have a bagpipe fetish. Perish the thought!

Anyone who is reasonably intelligent just wouldn't go around making remarks that might insult or offend others (racist, ageist, sizeist or whatever). Would we? Of course not.

Does that include the above Ms Macbeth :nono:

Hmmm... my mum practically grew up on glutinous rice balls. Her mum used to make them, but she passed away years ago so I can't ask her how she made them. Why don't you buy some from the Chinese shop? :D

I am expanding my knowledge. I love cooking and am going all oriental - learning cantonese and so on. Would prefer to make my own rice dishes.

How sweet of you to believe that. Some of the people I mentioned in my earlier post are university educated further education lecturers.

So, why is the law not the same for all then Ruby ?
Why ask me, I'm not in charge of making the law? As I said, I agree with shaz112, one nasty insult is as bad as another.

Either make it all illegal, which would be patently just silly and impossible, or none of it. That's my considered view. You can't force people to be nice to one another, much as you'd like to.

Archived