Help there is a big fat mouse in my house

I hate to say it, but if traps aren't working and you don't want a pack of cats, your only other choice is fumigation. Methyl bromide or "bromomethane" is and always has been the gold standard. That stuff will kill almost everything imaginable. Since the Montreal protocol it's hard to come by, but there are some joints that still use it. Your house will have to be "tented" and you will have to move out for a while, but, quite literally, everything dies.

There are other gaseous chemicals that are extremely lethal to mammals, but CH3Br won't leave a residue. Phosgene would leave a residue but it would stone cold kill everything too. Hydrogen cyanide is an acid, so that would leave a residue. I just dunno what you have access to.

I think a mousetrap baited with chocolate, as other posters have said, is the best option. You could either place them around the edges of the room when they baby has gone to bed, and remove them before he gets up, or maybe put them behind the plinths in the kitchen units, or at the back of the cooker.

Whatever you do, keep on checking them for bodies! many years ago, i arrived home from work to find my kitchen swarming with hundreds and hundreds of bluebottles! Yes, i had forgotten to check a mousetrap under the cooker. it had gone all maggotty and the maggots had hatched! YUK!:gag::gag::gag:

I think a mousetrap baited with chocolate, as other posters have said, is the best option. You could either place them around the edges of the room when they baby has gone to bed, and remove them before he gets up, or maybe put them behind the plinths in the kitchen units, or at the back of the cooker.

Whatever you do, keep on checking them for bodies! many years ago, i arrived home from work to find my kitchen swarming with hundreds and hundreds of bluebottles! Yes, i had forgotten to check a mousetrap under the cooker. it had gone all maggotty and the maggots had hatched! YUK!:gag::gag::gag:

Thanks for the sensible and practical advice, my home is open plan so it is difficult to place traps in one room i.e 'kitchen', I will therefore go for the 'behind the plinths' option as you suggest, having said that baby pulled one of the plinths off the other day so I need to be vigilant.

Mousetraps are cheap from Home Bargains....2 in a pack for 59p.

They aren't wooden...they're the newer plastic quick click type.

And as for bait.....nothing works better than peanut butter. :D

I have a mouse running around in my living room, what should I do. I have a baby who crawls about and eats everything he can get his hands on, he will be sure to eat the droppings.

get a plug in mouse deterrent you can get one for about 20 quid...u plug it in and it sends low frequency noises out that the mouse hates.i bought one but have been unable to use it because i have a hamster.my hubby put poisen under the floorboards and we havent heard a peep since.so i got 1 going spare if u need it.:(

Mouse traps are very effective, but make take care when setting it as you could trap your finger on the spike. Also mice prefer bread to cheese.

The electric ones from B & Q which zap them are good. put some snickers bar in it. Chocolate and peanuts to a mouse are luxury.

Archived