Will petrol prices go up because of BPs

David Cameron could save us all . . .

He could stick his head in the bore hole.

Yes, and he might find the thousands of jobs in there that he is saying people must take or lose benefits.

I don't know much about oil exploration or the detail of this terrible accident but I understand that it was a technical failure of a valve on the seabed that's caused the explosion and the subsequent release, not incompetence.

I'm not sure if the claims of incompetence (in general, and not just by the OP) are about the installation of a valve which later failed, or about the non-installation of a safety device which, it is known, would have prevented the massive spill even after that valve had failed.

I forget, offhand, what that safety device is called and how it works. It was being discussed at length on CNN, where people were eager to point out that it's a mandatory feature of rigs in almost the entire rest of the world, but not in the USA; and Transocean did not bother to fit one, thereby saving about £10,000 but allowing a spill to occur which will cost untold billions.

I'm not sure if the claims of incompetence (in general, and not just by the OP) are about the installation of a valve which later failed, or about the non-installation of a safety device which, it is known, would have prevented the massive spill even after that valve had failed.

I forget, offhand, what that safety device is called and how it works. It was being discussed at length on CNN, where people were eager to point out that it's a mandatory feature of rigs in almost the entire rest of the world, but not in the USA; and Transocean did not bother to fit one, thereby saving about £10,000 but allowing a spill to occur which will cost untold billions.

Thanks for that reference, I'll take a look.

Archived