Shepherd Wheel Restoration update

Despite the long period of snow and freezing weather, the restoration has been progressing. In October and November a complete inventory of the buildings contents was carried out, and at the same time restoration work on the dam began. Large quantities of silt have been removed, the dam relined, and the masonry at the inlet and outlet repaired and renewed. Refilling should soon begin.

Discussions are being held with English Heritage about the design of an educational facility which is to be built at the rear of the Mill.

Restoration of the building and waterwheel should start soon, and the target for re-opening, originally intended for late this year, is now Spring 2011.

Tremendous news.

I was up at Forge Dam the other day, the amount of silt in there is unbelievable it's so shallow in places, the same can be said about the ponds in Endcliffe Park. I hope when Sheperds Wheel is completed all of the ponds/lakes in the Porter Valley are de-silted.

Good news indeed- incidentally anyone remember when the decline in the fortunes of Shepherds Wheel began? About the same time as Abbeydale Works?

In the 80's when Thatcher cut Sheffield 's rate support grant.

I remember the dam being dredged years back with a pair of ploughing enignes and a drag line - must have been early 70's? Even so it was long after steam rollers and traction engines seen in everyday use. Good news if the wheel is to be refurb'd again - I used to live just up the hill opposite.

• 9 months later...

Latest news: the dam has been repaired and refilled; the building has been restored; what remains to be done is the machinery to be restored to working order, and external landscaping to allow wheelchair access to the rear of the building.

The machinery restoration work should begin anytime now, and the whole thing should be up and running and open to the public by the autumn.

There's a nice little video on Youtube about the restoration

Tremendous news.

I was up at Forge Dam the other day, the amount of silt in there is unbelievable it's so shallow in places, the same can be said about the ponds in Endcliffe Park. I hope when Sheperds Wheel is completed all of the ponds/lakes in the Porter Valley are de-silted.

There are discussions ongoing about what to do with the Forge Dam, whether to dredge a channel, or dredge the whole thing, removing the island that's formed etc.

Whatever they decide will be put out for public consultation.

Archived