Shepherd Wheel Restoration update

It's a tremendous restoration project but can I ask why it requires a visitor centre?

I'm especially puzzled why a new out of context visitor centre is being built at Shepherd Wheel when the in-context Mayfield education centre a short walk up the valley is being closed.

It's a tremendous restoration project but can I ask why it requires a visitor centre?

I'm especially puzzled why a new out of context visitor centre is being built at Shepherd Wheel when the in-context Mayfield education centre a short walk up the valley is being closed.

It's not a visitor centre as such, just a shelter round the back for school classes. have a look at the video, there's an illustration of what's being built.

I remember the dam being dredged years back with a pair of ploughing enignes and a drag line - must have been early 70's? Even so it was long after steam rollers and traction engines seen in everyday use. Good news if the wheel is to be refurb'd again - I used to live just up the hill opposite.

I remember that too, there was a display of items that had been found in the mud at the bottom, it was mostly old bottles.

It's not a visitor centre as such, just a shelter round the back for school classes. have a look at the video, there's an illustration of what's being built.

Gotcha. It still seems incongruous part of a restoration to me, but if a minor addition ensures its future sustainability so be it.

I'm not sure about the necessity of an educational facility. Why not just show the Shepherd Wheel the way it was when working? Good to see it's being preserved. It's not so long ago that the mill pond was used for fishing.

I hope you can recreate that 'just abandoned' clutter inside that was always part of its appeal.

And it's good to hear you'll be having live exhibitions of knife grinding. They used to have live exhibitions of crucible steel making at Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet, but they were shut down on safety grounds (I think).

I'm not sure about the necessity of an educational facility. Why not just show the Shepherd Wheel the way it was when working? Good to see it's being preserved. It's not so long ago that the mill pond was used for fishing.

I hope you can recreate that 'just abandoned' clutter inside that was always part of its appeal.

And it's good to hear you'll be having live exhibitions of knife grinding. They used to have live exhibitions of crucible steel making at Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet, but they were shut down on safety grounds (I think).

I don't know as I wasn't party to any discussions, but I suspect the education aspect was a condition of the funding received.

As one of the people who cleared 'the clutter' so work could proceed, I can say none of it was thrown away, so I'm sure relevant stuff will reappear. However, quite a bit had no connection to the wheel, but was stored there after it ceased working.

I'm not in Sheffield any more so sorry if I'm asking obvious questions.

What happened to Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet then? I heard it was closed due to lack of funds some years ago.Has it reopened?

I'm so glad to see that my heritage is being restored.

I also don't live in Sheffield anymore you mentioned the Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet well i can inform you that i worked for the old City Engineers from 1966 up to 1990 in and around 67/68 time myself and another work mate (Smudge ) were mating a paviour called Mick Devine and we laid the SET PAVED road from the entrance and throughout the Hamlet Mick at that time was the only qualified paviour in Yorkshire who could lay sets Smudge and myself had the task of trying to chip the pitch off the great pile of old sets that had been tipped on site not easy because that summer turned out to be a warm one and the pitch on the sets just melted going back to the wheel at lunch time we all used to go and help restore the water wheel which at that time was in a very poor state i remember a old gentleman coming each and every day in an old Morris Cowley convertible car bull nose version carrying his tools and gas bottles for welding in the back seat i had never returned to the site until i believe around 1995 time when i took some Canadian friends who were visiting Sheffield around at that time the Hamlet was in full working condition and it gave me great pleasure to think that i had some part in restoring the project it saddens me to think that it now stands in disrepair once again SIGN OF THE TIMES ONCE AGAIN :loopy: .

Archived