Extreme or objectionable views. Express or suppress?

Express or suppress?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Express or suppress?

• Nothing should be left unsaid
    • Some things are not for saying

Do you believe that people should have the right to express their views, opinions and beliefs no matter how objectionable?

Do some people need protecting from their views, or do some folk maybe need protecting from themselves?

Are some things so taboo that they should be left unsaid - even if people think it?

I'm not into censorship

however having said that, some views when left unchecked can grow to unmeasurable evils....like the nazis during the war.

so.......whenever they rear their ugly heads im gonna be there to show the error of their ways.......and match em arguement for arguement then if theres people who might be swayed my arguement hopfully will unsway them

Do you believe that people should have the right to express their views, opinions and beliefs no matter how objectionable?

Do some people need protecting from their views, or do some folk maybe need protecting from themselves?

Are some things so taboo that they should be left unsaid - even if people think it?

Yes , how else will we learn the truth?

We are talking extreme examples so excuse me illustrating with an extreme example to test what you mean.

Do people think a website set up expressing the view that men raping babies is character building for the baby, should be defended?

If the website gives views on how to go about raping a baby.... is that a view or something more?

I think there is perhaps a distinction between the two examples that is qualitatively a matter of degree rather than substance.

Either way, however I think some views (as my example illustrates) should be suppressed.

Yes , how else will we learn the truth?

I happen to agree with you because I believe that no view is too abhorrent to be expressed. We all have opinions so it's silly to pretend that some opinions don't exist.

It is not always appropriate to say some things at some times in some places but on the whole I am sure that sunlight is the best disinfectant to even the most obnoxious opinions.

I happen to agree with you because I believe that no view is too abhorrent to be expressed. We all have opinions so it's silly to pretend that some opinions don't exist.

It is not always appropriate to say some things at some times in some places but on the whole I am sure that sunlight is the best disinfectant to even the most obnoxious opinions.

We only need an awareness of the existence of a view to be able to refute it. We don't need people expressing the view freely to do so.

Those people who express those sort of views should expect the consequences . If you don't let people express their views how do we know what evil is lurking under the cover .

If you are suggesting consequences for expressing certain views, then you are suppressing those views.

We only need an awareness of the existence of a view to be able to refute it. We don't need people expressing the view freely to do so.

I don't think that I said that I thought that people should express them freely.

Archived