Extreme or objectionable views. Express or suppress?

Express or suppress?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Express or suppress?

• Nothing should be left unsaid
    • Some things are not for saying

Oh sorry, are you not a maxist.

............and half the planet has tried to shut south park down, where have you been, under a rock.

Strangely there has been great support for South Park and their attempts to offend everyone equally. Did you not see the thread about Mohammed in a bear suit?

Strangely there has been great support for South Park and their attempts to offend everyone equally. Did you not see the thread about Mohammed in a bear suit?

No.

The point I'm attempting to make here is that the 'so called left' are arguing for censorship and using the most emotive subjects to attempt to gain support, that of child abuse. (without success I might add)

I'd like to ask wildcat if he thinks south park should be censored because they very clearly and deliberatly offend a lot of people. These people say that south park 'harm them' and its this term harm that wildcat keeps throwing about as if its some sort of magic wand, 'they are harmed, so it should be censored'.

No.

The point I'm attempting to make here is that the 'so called left' are arguing for censorship and using the most emotive subjects to attempt to gain support, that of child abuse. (without success I might add)

I'd like to ask wildcat if he thinks south park should be censored because they very clearly and deliberatly offend a lot of people. These people say that south park 'harm them' and its this term harm that wildcat keeps throwing about as if its some sort of magic wand, 'they are harmed, so it should be censored'.

It was one person calling for the show to be censored. The South Park people made a theme of it for the episode including lots of censoreds and replacing Mohammed in a bear costume with someone else in a bear costume. I haven't watched the episode but it sounds like it was up to their usual high standards.

As I often tend to be I'm with John Stuart Mill on this issue, if anyone hasn't yet read it On Liberty is a superbly argued classic largely upon this subject, a free audio book of which can be found here.

The poll is poorly worded though, I believe some things should be left unsaid and consequently don't say them principally due to a desire not to upset people I care about. I simply think I should have the right to say pretty much anything I please without fear of officially sponsored persecution.

Too many people confuse freedoms of a free society with freedoms of the individual, two very different positions, one in form of society with laws and the other as an individual wishing to be without such constraints.

Too many people confuse freedoms of a free society with freedoms of the individual, two very different positions, one in form of society with laws and the other as an individual wishing to be without such constraints.

:huh: But what are the freedoms of a "free society" if not the freedoms of the individuals within that society?

If the individuals within it aren't free how can a society be free?

:huh: But what are the freedoms of a "free society" if not the freedoms of the individuals within that society?

If the individuals within it aren't free how can a society be free?

I'm no John Mills and you are not listening:D Society dictates the norms of personal freedoms and almost all of those freedoms stop at the point of harming the society's agreed norms. Those norms can vary but it is ultimately the society at large that gives itself powers to prescribe laws and offer punishments to individuals who don't adhere to the laws so prescribed. The society can even then claim to be a free society because it is working for the freedom and interests of the whole rather than the individual to be an idiot.

I shall now withdraw my contribution to society till the morning, if it's not deemed illegal within the next five minutes.

Archived