Extreme or objectionable views. Express or suppress?

Express or suppress?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Express or suppress?

• Nothing should be left unsaid
    • Some things are not for saying

I asked you whether you would censor me not whether you would sensor me on the basis your child had the mental capacity or not.

As the parent of said 3 year old I would treat it like any other subject. If the child didn't wish to listen to it then it wouldn't have to.

If you put your own sexual prejudices aside it's not a difficult idea to comprehend.

Absolutely.....which is an entirely different issue from bringing in legislation to close the marketing company down altogether which is the censorship I'm talking about. Simply ignoring somebody because you don't wish to read their bumph isn't the issue here.

Simply ignoring the bumpf coming through your letterbox, would involve leaving it there to pile up or binning it before reading it.

Preventing it coming through your letterbox is precisely what the Chinese Govt do to their web traffic. That is still censorship even if they don't try to shut down the sites at source.

Not at all. It simply means I don't have a problem with sex, sexuality or sexual expression.

I must say I find that attitude deeply disturbing.

As the parent of said 3 year old I would treat it like any other subject. If the child didn't wish to listen to it then it wouldn't have to.

If you put your own sexual prejudices aside it's not a difficult idea to comprehend.

Ok...the original question in the eyes of some may have been extreme but not out of the realms of possibility. Let's take you out from the equation literally and replace the 3yr old with a 10yr old who has some semblance of understanding...would you have me gagged or do you think the child is capable of making well informed choices...you also have to consider the agenda of the 50yr old.

Personnel question...have you ever censored?

Depends what you mean by censor. I've turned off the TV when they've shown medical procedures. I'm a bit squeamish. And I've ignored things that I don't wish to be bothered by but I don't ever recall trying to actually stop somebody from voicing their opinion while I've been an adult (I'm pretty certain I must have done when I was a kid though:twisted:)

Ok...the original question in the eyes of some may have been extreme but not out of the realms of possibility. Let's take you out from the equation literally and replace the 3yr old with a 10yr old who has some semblance of understanding...would you have me gagged or do you think the child is capable of making well informed choices...you also have to consider the agenda of the 50yr old.

As the 10 year old has some understanding then it would probably be even easier for me to tell whether he/she is comfortable with the conversation. If not then we would leave. The 50 year old would still be entitled to hold his views and to express them but we wouldn't be around to hear it.

As the 10 year old has some understanding then it would probably be even easier for me to tell whether he/she is comfortable with the conversation. If not then we would leave. The 50 year old would still be entitled to hold his views and to express them but we wouldn't be around to hear it.

I take it you appreciate that your viewpoint on this is an unusual one?

Would you condemn someone for taking the opposite view?

Preventing it coming through your letterbox is precisely what the Chinese Govt do to their web traffic. That is still censorship even if they don't try to shut down the sites at source.

Yes because they're censoring it on behalf of 1 billion chinese who haven't been given the freedom to choose for themselves whether/what they wish to ignore on the internet.

Nice try at an analogy but the proper analogy would be to say that the British government are stopping it coming through your letter box whether you want it or not.

I must say I find that attitude deeply disturbing.

Ok.....and you're absolutely entitled to your opinion.

Archived