Extreme or objectionable views. Express or suppress?

Express or suppress?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Express or suppress?

• Nothing should be left unsaid
    • Some things are not for saying

Absolutely but that's absolutely no reason for censorship.

It's important that people understand the idea of personal responsibility.....that each individual is responsible for his or her own actions, so that they can't be incited to cause physical harm to others simply because of what a third party has said.

True, (with the qualifier that they have the capacity to be fully responsible) but I don't see that the notion that they can't be incited to cause any harm holds water at all.

There's plenty of evidence to the contrary.

If, for example a well known political figure began to exhort their followers to beat up the supporters of an opposing group then it's likely that assaults would actually happen.

Should such a person, openly advocating violence against a particular group be allowed to do so?

True, (with the qualifier that they have the capacity to be fully responsible) but I don't see that the notion that they can't be incited to cause any harm holds water at all.

If, for example a well known political figure began to exhort their followers to beat up the supporters of an opposing group then it's likely that assaults would actually happen.

Should such a person, openly advocating violence against a particular group be allowed to do so?

Did someone mention the UAF??

You misread the point I was trying to make (I'll try and make it clearer) which was that if it's stressed to an individual that all decisions they make in life are their responsibility and theirs alone (unless somebody's literally holding a gun to their head) then it's impossible for them, in a court of law for example, to say that; "somebody else made me do it guv" which is basically what a person is saying when they claim to have been incited to commit a criminal act.

I agree.

Absolutely.....and anybody found guilty of carrying out those acts of violence should be prosecuted.

Archived