Extreme or objectionable views. Express or suppress?

Express or suppress?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Express or suppress?

• Nothing should be left unsaid
    • Some things are not for saying

Like you then, I believe some views should be suppressed.

No, I don't believe that.

Do you think someone expressing paedophile views, should be allowed to do so?

Yes, at the right time and place. It allows us to form extended and knowledgeable attitudes. Ignorance is foolish, not bliss, but neither would SF be the right place to do it.

Note: my viewpoint is not inconsistent with defying the law where someone thinks the law is wrong based on an assessment on principles I have set out... ie harm to society.

In the case of "love that dare not speak its name", defying the law and accepting the consequences of that on balance has changed society for the better.

No, I don't believe that.

Yes, at the right time and place. It allows us to form extended and knowledgeable attitudes. Ignorance is foolish, not bliss, but neither would SF be the right place to do it.

Are you using suppressed as in repressed?

I am not arguing that where someone is seeking help from a psychotherapist they should be dishonest about their views, context is important.

However, if those views are being expressed in the public arena and they do more harm than good, then I have no trouble with them being suppressed ie made illegal.

Do you believe that people should have the right to express their views, opinions and beliefs no matter how objectionable?

No matter how objectionable to whom? Who decides what is an objectionable view? One mans objectionable view may well be another mans common sense approach. Who decides which one is wrong? Who decides which one is objectionable?

I don't think so?
Well, then I don't see how you can misunderstand what I've posted.

Just so we're clear ....

–verb

1.to put (thought) into words; utter or state: to express an idea clearly.

2.to show, manifest, or reveal

3.to set forth the opinions, feelings, etc., of (oneself), as in speaking, writing, or painting

–adjective

1.clearly indicated; distinctly stated; definite; explicit; plain:

Capiche? :)

It is not an extreme example though.

Do you think someone expressing paedophile views, should be allowed to do so?

I took your argument about consequences to mean that if it was being run by your neighbour and you found out you would go gather some people with the metaphorical pitchforks to express your displeasure at their viewpoint.

An understandable reaction, but one I would think would be more consistent or sensible if it included simply making the persons activity in expressing their paedophile views illegal and letting the state rather than the mob deal with such things.

Pedophiles and alike should be forced to express their views within a gang of pitchforkees!

Pedophiles and alike should be forced to express their views within a gang of pitchforkees!

Hmm, so simply acknowledging your sexuality (which cannot be helped) should be punishable by forking?

Well, then I don't see how you can misunderstand what I've posted.

Just so we're clear ....

–verb

1.to put (thought) into words; utter or state: to express an idea clearly.

2.to show, manifest, or reveal

3.to set forth the opinions, feelings, etc., of (oneself), as in speaking, writing, or painting

–adjective

1.clearly indicated; distinctly stated; definite; explicit; plain:

Capiche? :)

So you think that it should not be illegal to set up a website advocating the view that having sex with babies is good for them?

Or that running full page adverts expressing nasty untrue views about you in every newspaper should not be illegal?

You already conceded some views should be illegal did you not?

"If those views are abhorrent, taboo or illegal, they have to expect the condemnation, ostracism or punishment that goes along with that expression."

Making something illegal is to suppress it.

Archived