Extreme or objectionable views. Express or suppress?

Express or suppress?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Express or suppress?

• Nothing should be left unsaid
    • Some things are not for saying

Libel would be a simple example.

It's only because of the libel laws that paedophiles like you get away with your filthy crimes, you should be executed for the abuse and misery you repeatedly inflict on blameless innocents.

Oh i see what your doing here :cool:

Libel would be a simple example.

It's only because of the libel laws that paedophiles like you get away with your filthy crimes, you should be executed for the abuse and misery you repeatedly inflict on blameless innocents.

Libel is something already covered by existing law, damage is debateable however in libel cases.

What we are talking about on this thread is cencoreship, which would mean making things ilegal.

Libel is a civil matter where someone asserts that some form of damage has been done to them.

Oh, and I don't want you to trawl the internet looking for an answer.

I'm asking YOU a question about YOUR views.

Some people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.:hihi::hihi:

I wrote that for Oscar.

No no, we arn't talking about the act of rape, we are talking about what someone says.

I'll ask the question again, HOW CAN SOMEONE HARM ANYONE BY EXPRESSING THEIR VIEW?

I wasn't talking about he act of rape except as the consequence of someone encouraging it.

My answer is the same:

What is false is that victims of rape don't suffer consequences depression suicide attempts etc.

The harm depression, suicides etc.

Libel is something already covered by existing law, damage is debateable however in libel cases.

What we are talking about on this thread is cencoreship, which would mean making things ilegal.

Libel is a civil matter where someone asserts that some form of damage has been done to them.

You asked

I'll ask the question again, HOW CAN SOMEONE HARM ANYONE BY EXPRESSING THEIR VIEW?

Someone can harm someone else by expressing views about them or we wouldn't have libel laws.

Or you can just say something stupid.

Gerald Ratner, for example, put many people on the dole queue, simply by calling his own products crap.

Libel is just one example of how to harm people by expressing views.

Take Karl Marx (no, really take him) - how many untold millions suffered and died because of his views.

On another tack entirely the act of expressing your views loud enough may damage hearing.

The number of answers to your question is only limited by your imagination.

I wasn't talking about he act of rape except as the consequence of someone encouraging it.

My answer is the same:

Your answers are hollow then, they have no basis because you are making a leap between talk and deed that doesn't exist.

To maintain your double standards possition and attempt to cover with smoke and mirrors just won't do.

You have not answered the questions before you, question that you yourself forced with your own statements contradicting yourself.

Do you believe that people should have the right to express their views, opinions and beliefs no matter how objectionable?

Yes - in private.

Do some people need protecting from their views, or do some folk maybe need protecting from themselves?

Some people do need protecting from themselves.

Are some things so taboo that they should be left unsaid - even if people think it?

You mean like shagging my dead grandma's colostomy bag hole? Otherwise no.

Archived