Barry's shoe polish does anyone know when

this weekend i came across an old polish tin, on the front it says BARRY,S

linoleum polish

BENSON's 114 the moor and

32 broad st sheffield

can anyone tell me what years they were at these premises:)

i have a pic if anyone would like to see

wow just managed to open the tin and inside is a receipt from the sheffield corporation electricity dept dated the 1st june 1943 saying received from j r dai???? 90 robey st sheffield 9, 6 shillings 1penny.can anyone tell me who lived at 90 robey st s9 in 1943

also there are 2 newspaper cuttings both dated july 17th 1943 which on one side has some bmd and the other reporting the war in the bakans and sicily and the other cutting is about the war in sicily.

wow just managed to open the tin and inside is a receipt from the sheffield corporation electricity dept dated the 1st june 1943 saying received from j r dai???? 90 robey st sheffield 9, 6 shillings 1penny.can anyone tell me who lived at 90 robey st s9 in 1943

also there are 2 newspaper cuttings both dated july 17th 1943 which on one side has some bmd and the other reporting the war in the bakans and sicily and the other cutting is about the war in sicily.

Maybe the newspaper cuttings will give you a clue, are there any of the BMD's which have the same surname as the receipt?

Perhaps the person had someone who was in Sicily during 1943.

...can anyone tell me who lived at 90 robey st s9 in 1943...
The 1942 Kelly's Directory shows "Dauris, Jn. Rt., saw maker" at 92 Robey Street (Harold Whysall lived next door at No 90). J.R. Dauris was still at the same address in 1972, and a quick look at the deaths index shows that John Robert Dauris was born on 6 January 1897 and died in Sheffield in 1982. The 1911 census return shows him as a Sheffield-born 14 year-old, a "band saw maker" living with his parents James Dauris and Susan, née Marcroft at 11 Paget Street (off Newhall Road).

Regarding Benson's, their website indicates that the firm was founded in 1910, and the 1942 directory shows them at 32 Broad Street, 2 South Street and 188 The Moor as well as being in the Sheaf Market (i.e. the "Rag and Tag"). Joseph Benson was already middle-aged and a successful auctioneer when he evidently saw the opportunities that the carpet/lino market offered and set up the business that still exists in Sheffield. Joseph Benson was born at Norton in 1855, and he lived at 279 City Road which he named "Lino House". He was a well-known local figure, a magistrate and was also interested in sport, being President of the Sheffield United Harriers and also being involved with local cricket and cross-country running clubs. He died in 1928.

The 1942 Kelly's Directory shows "Dauris, Jn. Rt., saw maker" at 92 Robey Street (Harold Whysall lived next door at No 90). J.R. Dauris was still at the same address in 1972, and a quick look at the deaths index shows that John Robert Dauris was born on 6 January 1897 and died in Sheffield in 1982. The 1911 census return shows him as a Sheffield-born 14 year-old, a "band saw maker" living with his parents James Dauris and Susan, née Marcroft at 11 Paget Street (off Newhall Road).

Regarding Benson's, their website indicates that the firm was founded in 1910, and the 1942 directory shows them at 32 Broad Street, 2 South Street and 188 The Moor as well as being in the Sheaf Market (i.e. the "Rag and Tag"). Joseph Benson was already middle-aged and a successful auctioneer when he evidently saw the opportunities that the carpet/lino market offered and set up the business that still exists in Sheffield. Joseph Benson was born at Norton in 1855, and he lived at 279 City Road which he named "Lino House". He was a well-known local figure, a magistrate and was also interested in sport, being President of the Sheffield United Harriers and also being involved with local cricket and cross-country running clubs. He died in 1928.

thanks for all the info hillsbro you should be a copper lol

Maybe this web page shows a Barry's polish tin similar to what the OP found.
thanks beechnut ,yes that is the tin only mine havnt got the pyramids ,just been speaking to a lady at the museum where the other tin is and i have sent her a picture and the info hillsbro gave me and she is going to send some info back,thanks

Archived