Religious conscience should be protected says Melanie.

They don't have those rights any more. The Relate counsellor got the sack and the homophobic preacher got arrested and charged. The nurse 'must have my cross outside my unifirm' woman lost her appeal and the Hackney woman who wouldn't preside over gay ceremonies lost her appeal too. Thats Seculars 4 - Christian bigots 0.

More is the pity that the Christian B&B couple - who broke the law by refusing accommodation to a gay couple - weren't prosecuted. So, sadly, the score at the moment is Seculars 4 - Christian bigots 1.

They don't have those rights any more. The Relate counsellor got the sack and the homophobic preacher got arrested and charged. The nurse 'must have my cross outside my unifirm' woman lost her appeal and the Hackney woman who wouldn't preside over gay ceremonies lost her appeal too. Thats Seculars 4 - Christian bigots 0.

I actually think the arrest of the homophobic preacher was nonsense, and I hope/expect him to get off.

I don't like his views, but he's free to express them as far as I'm concerned. I think even Peter Tatchell agrees.

They do indeed still have those rights. They could have chosen to do a job that did not require them to go against their beliefs; they were not forced into one that did.

There are lots of jobs where their beliefs would be called to account. These people feel that they have a valid arguement to discriminate because their god discriminates and it says so in their holy book. Do we respect their right to act on their beliefs or the rights of people they will offend by acting on those beliefs?

I actually think the arrest of the homophobic preacher was nonsense, and I hope/expect him to get off.

I don't like his views, but he's free to express them as far as I'm concerned. I think even Peter Tatchell agrees.

I agree too but what about the guy that got an ASBO for leaving religious satire in the chapel at John Lennon airport? His 'freedom' was curtailed because he upset someone.

There are lots of jobs where their beliefs would be called to account.

And their rights are protected by them not being forced to take such jobs.

Of course, if Melanie Phillips is really arguing that they should have a right to impose their beliefs on others, that's a whole different argument, and one that she will, and should, lose. That's precisely why, in those cases you mention earlier, people were fired and lost their appeals for unfair dismissal - you have a right not to be in the job, but you have no right at all to bring your own religious beliefs to it.

And their rights are protected by them not being forced to take such jobs.

Of course, if Melanie Phillips is really arguing that they should have a right to impose their beliefs on others, that's a whole different argument, and one that she will, and should, lose. That's precisely why, in those cases you mention earlier, people were fired and lost their appeals for unfair dismissal - you have a right not to be in the job, but you have no right at all to bring your own religious beliefs to it.

I agree. I was just trying to back off a bit having started the thread. I think the arguement is dangerous and uses a warped logic that can end up legitimising allsorts of discrimination just because god said so.

i would guess he would get a caution

:huh: not even if you're a vicar? :suspect:

:)

Not even then. Being a vicar requires that you promote Christianity, whichever branch of it your vicarage happens to cover; therefore any beliefs you hold which do not fit Christianity, you may not promote in that job.

This is why Muslims generally don't apply for jobs as vicars, and it is also why they'd have no case for discrimination if they applied for one and were turned down.

Archived