Labour asking people to perform tactical voting

Is this a last desparate act by labour, and does anyone else think party members telling people to do this is morally wrong?

im still voting tory even though they will not win in my area....because they give away nice council houses that are worth a fortune..:hihi::hihi:

Probably not more morally wrong than voting for a party who lied about weapons of mass destruction to start and illegal war, and who was complicit in the abduction of men to various middle eastern countried to be tortured under extraordinary rendition. I'll be tactically voting Green because I know it won't make a damn bit of difference to Labour keeping out the Tories where I live and I'd rather vote with my conscience. If it was a choice between Labout and Tories, I would vote Labour, and have done in every other election I've ever had the opportunity to vote in.

A local candidate whose chances of winning are already nil, cannot be undermined.

But they might still be out campaigning, they might have given up normal jobs, I think they'd be pretty cheesed off if senior party officials/members were telling voters NOT to vote for them. If they'd rather another party get in just to stop their main rivals, they should at least have the decency to not bother fielding a candidate at all.

No it is not morally wrong.

The fact that no less than three Labour Government Ministers are telling people to vote for the Liberal Democrats is evidence that they believe that Sheffield MP Nick Clegg is the best man for the job of Prime Minister and the best way forward for this country.

The Ministers are simply being honest.

Or perhaps they're being cynical.

Whoever gets into power will have to sort out the mess Labour are leaving behind them. There are, no doubt, some dyed-in-the-wool Labour supporters who will claim that the country has prospered under Blair and Brown and they have left a strong economy which is growing rapidly.

Unfortunately, not only is history repeating itself, the burp is far louder this time. Thatcher had to sort out the mess left by Wilson and Callaghan, which made her more than a little unpopular. Whoever gets landed with this mess has an even bigger job and once that job has been done and people have recovered from the pain, the subsequent hatred could well keep his party out of power for many years.

Labour might've caused the problem (and since they were the party in power, it's difficult to blame it [convincingly] on anybody else), but they're hardly likely to accept responsibility, nor are they likely to want to shoulder the blame for the actions necessary to repair the damage they've caused.

It's hardly surprising that Labour ministers are advising people to vote Liberal.

- The last thing they would want is to be lumbered with the responsibility for their own ineptitude.

Probably not more morally wrong than voting for a party who lied about weapons of mass destruction to start and illegal war, and who was complicit in the abduction of men to various middle eastern countried to be tortured under extraordinary rendition. I'll be tactically voting Green because I know it won't make a damn bit of difference to Labour keeping out the Tories where I live and I'd rather vote with my conscience. If it was a choice between Labout and Tories, I would vote Labour, and have done in every other election I've ever had the opportunity to vote in.

In your words Labour started illegal wars (resulting in approx 1 million deaths) and was complicit in torture. You also say you will vote with your conscience but in a choice between Labour and Tories, you would vote for the warmongering, torturers rather than the conservatives :huh:

It's hardly surprising that Labour ministers are advising people to vote Liberal.

- The last thing they would want is to be lumbered with the responsibility for their own ineptitude.

:confused:

The Labour ministers advising people to vote tactically are asking voters to vote liberal in seats where the Conservatives are fighting the Lib Dems for the seat i.e Con/Lib Dem marginals.

This is to try to deny the Tories the seat, and by doing so make it harder for the Tories to get a majority or enough of a seat lead to form a minority government.

Thus allowing Labour to form a government.......It is nothing to do with trying to get the Liberals in power.

:confused:

The Labour ministers advising people to vote tactically are asking voters to vote liberal in seats where the Conservatives are fighting the Lib Dems for the seat i.e Con/Lib Dem marginals.

This is to try to deny the Tories the seat, and by doing so make it harder for the Tories to get a majority or enough of a seat lead to form a minority government.

Allowing Labour to form a government.......It is nothing to do with trying to get the Liberals in power.

Like Tories in Lab / Lib Dem marginals would never think of voting Lib Dem to get Labour out :huh:

Isn't that largely the cause of the collapse of the Tory vote in Sheffield.

Oh and BTW I somehow think the reason is to share power with the Lib Dems. I don't think anyone thinks Labour can form a government on its own - and can't think many Labour voters (or Lib Dems for that matter) want to see a Tory majority.

Like Tories in Lab / Lib Dem marginals would never think of voting Lib Dem to get Labour out :huh:

Isn't that largely the cause of the collapse of the Tory vote in Sheffield.

Oh and BTW I somehow think the reason is to share power with the Lib Dems. I don't think anyone thinks Labour can form a government on its own - and can't think many Labour voters (or Lib Dems for that matter) want to see a Tory majority.

Whatever the ethics of tactical voting, I was responding to Rupert_Baehr's post who was suggesting that Labour was asking people to vote Lib Dem so that Labour didn't have to deal with the current woes of the economy.

My post wasn't suggesting that Labour form a government on it's own, but by denying the Tories an overall majority, then convention allows the incumbent PM to try to form a government first, whether that be a coalition or minority government.

Archived