Will the Conservatives dismantle the NHS?

I believe that the NHS is certainly not safe in their hands.

In a Com Res poll last August, 62% of Conservative MPs failed to back the current NHS model, funded by general taxation and free at the point of delivery, as sustainable for the future. More than half of Conservative MPs also supported the use of tax breaks to encourage the take-up of private healthcare. To many Tories, the NHS is irrelevant because they can afford to pay for private treatment if necessary. At the time Alistair Darling commented: "This poll shows where the heart of the Tory Party lies."

Fully 38% of Conservatives are still deluded enough to believe that the current NHS model is sustainable? How could they be that naive?

Or is it more likely that they just don't want to admit the obvious truth, since they know that the public don't like hearing obvious truths and vote against politicians that dish them out?

I believe that the NHS is certainly not safe in their hands.

In a Com Res poll last August, 62% of Conservative MPs failed to back the current NHS model, funded by general taxation and free at the point of delivery, as sustainable for the future. More than half of Conservative MPs also supported the use of tax breaks to encourage the take-up of private healthcare. To many Tories, the NHS is irrelevant because they can afford to pay for private treatment if necessary. At the time Alistair Darling commented: "This poll shows where the heart of the Tory Party lies."

One of the first thing that the Labour did when they came to power in 1997 was to abolish the internal market with the NHS, and then they spent the next few years re-building the internal market. Labour then farmed out the easiest and "profit making" patients to the private sector, paid for by the tax payer. The tories never went as far as this labour government has involving private business in the NHS.

Fully 38% of Conservatives are still deluded enough to believe that the current NHS model is sustainable? How could they be that naive?

Or is it more likely that they just don't want to admit the obvious truth, since they know that the public don't like hearing obvious truths and vote against politicians that dish them out?

Why don't the Tories come clean the and tell us what cut's they'll make and how many thousands of jobs will go then?

Why don't the Tories come clean the and tell us what cut's they'll make and how many thousands of jobs will go then?

For probably the same reason that the labour party doesn't come clean about the cuts.

Politicians who are that honest invariably lose votes. People don't want to hear the truth, they want to hear that everything will be fine and they'll be better off.

Politicians who are that honest invariably lose votes. People don't want to hear the truth, they want to hear that everything will be fine and they'll be better off.

More like the voters would be absolutely terrified if they new what the Tories real plans for the NHS are!

More like the voters would be absolutely terrified if they new what the Tories real plans for the NHS are!

That's not a contradiction of my post. I don't know if the Tories do intend to dismantle the NHS within the next decade; I doubt it. I *do* know that the NHS as it exists right now is doomed, and the sooner we dismantle it the less painful and damaging the cost of doing so will be; but since most voters, like you, will blame the person who actually takes necessary action, rather than taking any notice of the fact it that was necessary, I don't think any politician willl do anything about it until the pain and damage are going to be far, far greater than they would be right now.

Not, indeed, until another Thatcher figure comes along, recognises the impossibility of continuing with it as it is, and decides to do what is necessary regardless of the fact that millions will forever hate her for it.

Archived