Does SF discriminate against the ..

Do you think SF discriminates against the illiterate, dyslexic and those with poor English?

A lot of the youth are coming out of school, unable to spell correctly and using 'textspeak', (txtspk if u lke).

Tehn theers teh dsyelixc.

No English good, me no too understand well. Want me take post on you for forum also.

I can understand why were supposed to post in correct English (English speaking nations slang permitted), for the sake of people with reading problems/sight problems. But what of those with language problems, particularly writing.

Software improves all the time for reading and interpretation. One day in the not too distant future, I'd imagine textspeak, simple misspellings, more complicated patterns of misspelling, even multiple languages in a single post could be readable by all, with simple, free to use software.

For example google chrome already

if you need it to.

It is isn't a perfect translation and there is always room for improvement, but if mistakes are banned, then how can they be overcome and translated, for example in the not too distant future we might have illiterate youth being able to communicate in their language via the net with the foreign blind.

By restricting peoples writing now, it will only be longer before such things can become a reality.

There's no need for a spell checker when writing a post, there's always the divvy spelling and grammer police that will pick up on the slightest of typos and put you right in order to demonstate their far superior intellect, it gives their egos such a boost I'm sure.

Poor grammar hurts my sensibilities. Our language is a rich tapestry of colour. If you want me to read what you write, then please write it properly. I can live with English as a second language or dyslexia, but would anyone really want to advertise that they don't know the difference between 'there' and 'their' or that they think 'ppl' is an acceptable abbreviation?

Poor grammar hurts my sensibilities. Our language is a rich tapestry of colour. If you want me to read what you write, then please write it properly. I can live with English as a second language or dyslexia, but would anyone really want to advertise that they don't know the difference between 'there' and 'their' or that they think 'ppl' is an acceptable abbreviation?

They may be saving on time/money if using SF on a phone, another thing that is likely to get more popular.

Do you think SF discriminates against the illiterate, dyslexic and those with poor English?

A lot of the youth are coming out of school, unable to spell correctly and using 'textspeak', (txtspk if u lke).

Tehn theers teh dsyelixc.

No English good, me no too understand well. Want me take post on you for forum also.

I can understand why were supposed to post in correct English (English speaking nations slang permitted), for the sake of people with reading problems/sight problems. But what of those with language problems, particularly writing.

Software improves all the time for reading and interpretation. One day in the not too distant future, I'd imagine textspeak, simple misspellings, more complicated patterns of misspelling, even multiple languages in a single post could be readable by all, with simple, free to use software.

For example google chrome already

if you need it to.

It is isn't a perfect translation and there is always room for improvement, but if mistakes are banned, then how can they be overcome and translated, for example in the not too distant future we might have illiterate youth being able to communicate in their language via the net with the foreign blind.

By restricting peoples writing now, it will only be longer before such things can become a reality.

My bold

But mistakes aren't banned on SF and neither is people's writing restricted, surely. Illiterate or incoherent posts might get get criticised by other posters, but I've never seen a mod warn someone for sloppy use of language!

Considering that this is a Forum where all communications are made in writing, then those with poor English skills are obviously going to be at a disadvantage, not only because they might get slagged off, but also because they might have difficulty in expressing their opinion so that others can understand them.

There's no need for a spell checker when writing a post, there's always the divvy spelling and grammer police that will pick up on the slightest of typos and put you right in order to demonstate their far superior intellect, it gives their egos such a boost I'm sure.

It should read grammar :)

oops sorry, should have read the entire thread before commenting. . . . Ego deflated.

Archived