Look at my photos of Kelvin Flats!

pete_fcs

Originally posted by Nu_Skillz

i enjoyed looking through those pete, nice one.

brings back a lot of good and bad memorys from my youth,

was sad to see the flats go,,, their was a real sence of comunity on the Kelvin, it wasent just the bricks and mortar that got demolished. :mad:

i agree, i reckon there's a big industry out there waiting to be tapped for this tower-block nostalgia stuff!

it's a bit like when the terraces went and people said "we were poor but we were happy" etc.

difference is places like kelvin were completely unique and had more about them than old terraces with outside toilets and damp walls.

Originally posted by jackthedog

Wonderful pictures. Never really seen any photos other than from far away. They seemed completely normal when I used to see them often, but looking back now, weren't they bloody massive. So imposing.

The shot down the terraced street in Upperthorpe, looking up at the flats towering above everything in the distance just shows how dominant they were.

yep, there's alot of pics at the library but mostly looking up at the flats as photographers were too scared to come on the landings in case someone threw their camera off the roof:hihi:

Originally posted by eighty4

That sounds like my grandad alright bloody hell small world ! can you remember his name ? frank ? ring any bells

yep, frank, thats the one i think, i used to say hello to him. forgotten the woman's name, began with an 's' i think.

he will have known all the tenant's association people too who i knew quite well.

Originally posted by pete_fcs

yep, frank, thats the one i think, i used to say hello to him. forgotten the woman's name, began with an 's' i think.

he will have known all the tenant's association people too who i knew quite well.

Yeah my step nannan was called shiela she died unfortunatly about 2 years ago, my grandad now lives on harold lambert court which used to the old hyde park. Whats your name ? ill tell him you mentioned him.

he might remember me as pete who knocked about with mozaz, but that's probably it!

frank probably remembers sheila cooper, fat phil, mick chairman of kta, ray fiddler, sam walker, joy sulph-johnstone (unsure of spelling), vernon collymore, ron tyson and the other 3,000 tenanats!

Archived