Look at my photos of Kelvin Flats!

pete_fcs

Originally posted by honeyplanet

Hey pete.. ray fiddler is my best mates dad, I spent so much time in his flat on kelvin walk.... good old days...

blimey! by the end of this thread it'll turn out that we're all related!:)

Originally posted by ceevee

Anyone used to frequent the halfpenny pub under the flats?

yes, lots of times, it was my favourite on the estate, the other being the gatefield which was also good.

i once persuaded a lass to come with me and my mate to the halfpenny, telling her "don't worry, it's not rough, that's just a myth!"

within half an hour two girls at the next table were landing punches on each other and rolling around the floor!

Originally posted by willman

i lived on daniel hill while they built kelvin flats.

once got stuck in an elevator before they were operational & had to climb down the wire thingy's for help.

also climbed all the cranes at one time or another.

would love to have seen them being built. there are some photos knocking about of hyde park and park hill contruction, but never seen any yet of kelvin.

not long after 'opening', kelvin was featured in the opening shots of slade's 1974 film "slade in flame". don powell rides his moterbike along fox lane at the back, then goes up to his mum and dad's flat.

and noddy holder's fictional mum lives in the houses at parkwood springs in a half-demolished street! you can still see the cobbles up there... and maybe even one of noddy's coloured mirrors off his hat!

great pictures m8,i remember vernon collymore and fat phill,does anyone know-ok here goes-icky,richard glover,wendy glover,martin dickson,sandra gibson,helen brown,terence, oh theres a lot more,i used to live at 79 woollen walk,probably not remember me

Originally posted by dlee

....i remember vernon collymore and fat phill,does anyone know-ok here goes-icky,richard glover,wendy glover,martin dickson,sandra gibson,helen brown,terence....

i remember terence if it's him off edith walk.

vernon collymore still works in the area and i see him occasionally. vernon was one of the very few tenants who rented privately. he was once a tenant of the one and only flat which had been bought up.

the compulsory purchase price to buy back the two-bedroom maisonette in 1993 was just over eight grand, meaning it would have been bought for under five thousand!

kelvin flats....the poundland of council estates!

Originally posted by ceevee

... Lance Mosely, I remember a very iffy bloke called 'moses'.

there were two moses's: the one who sang karaoke, and a 'mozaz', local character and poet. neither of them were 'iffy'! careful!

lance also sang karaoke.... sometimes doing a phil-collins-live-aid-special by rushing out of the halfpenny pub to catch his next slot at the upperthorpe!

i've got photo's of all these people but will not be posting them unless i get permission from the owners of the faces!

I ended up as a club turn with Lance up and down the country as 'plasticine' ha!! Maybe I know you......I don't think he'd mind you posting the pics!!

The moses I talk of used to frighten the life out of me thats all.....he was the karaoke guy who sang 'blueberry hill'.

• 2 months later...

Archived