Worst mistake during the election campaign

most people will point to brown's 'bigotgate' gaffe as being the worst mistake a candidate made, but it wasn't.

it was Cameron's decision to have a televised debate that was by far the worst gaffe.

He was ahead in the polls. Not as much as he would have liked, but he was still ahead. Unlike the others he had nothing to gain from a televised debate. What a plonker.

Agreed. A disaster tactically, he should consider himself lucky that some of the Lib Dem policies are now turning people away who were attracted to the "message of change" but dont like the message once they've had a good look.

On the other hand, perhaps all three leaders should be thanked for putting the greater good above their own and agreeing to have an actual debate in which they put forward their views for scrutiny.

I think the debates have cost the Conservatives votes, though.

I did think the debates were a good idea but looking back but I think the format was wrong. It has created a sort of quasai-presidential election with people saying "Im going to vote for Cameron/Clegg/Brown" when there are in reality only 3 constituencies in the country where one of those options is possible.

I think maybe a question time style event would have been better, with more audience interaction.

What has been more interesting than the debates are the Daily Politics specials, where the minister and shadows have been debating specific issues. Maybe if there is some way they can combine the two next time around it would be a bit better, but we need to get away from this presidential style of politics which is a facade.

The naff billboards really have been naff haven't they - it's like they got some sixth formers who want to work for private eye to make them.

EDIT - that applies to both the two main parties - and no doubt it would apply to the Lib Dems if they could have afforded some posters.

Agreed. A disaster tactically, he should consider himself lucky that some of the Lib Dem policies are now turning people away who were attracted to the "message of change" but dont like the message once they've had a good look.

Looking at their policies in detail, I'd be inclined to vote labour.

For example the £55 YTS scheme. That's £3 a week more than the dole, as soon as the youth steps out of the house and onto the bus they're already worse off, than what they would be on benefits.

The housing plans don't do much neither. They going to investigate building for a year. Whoopty doo!

And the cons, are just that, CONS trying to con you out of money.

I think its going to be the Greens for me.

I think the biggest mistake has been made by the media, and that is by allowing a platform and focussing on far too much the big 3, but not the other parties.

The Polls, bar none. Wish they would stop mentioning them, I mean where do they get there figures from!?! Do they just ask children whats there favourite colour and go with that...

Everyone I ask are saying they are voting anyone but Tory.. Yet polls say otherwise…

Looking at their policies in detail, I'd be inclined to vote labour.

For example the £55 YTS scheme. That's £3 a week more than the dole, as soon as the youth steps out of the house and onto the bus they're already worse off, than what they would be on benefits.

The housing plans don't do much neither. They going to investigate building for a year. Whoopty doo!

And the cons, are just that, CONS trying to con you out of money.

I think its going to be the Greens for me.

I think the biggest mistake has been made by the media, and that is by allowing a platform and focussing on far too much the big 3, but not the other parties.

I agree with the bold. I have a respect for people who vote for smaller parties after having read the policies and deciding which is closest to their own views. I am sick of hearing "but they wont win, so why vote for them."

Archived