So was Faisal Shahzad a muslim?

I'm hoping that since this scumbag became a US citizen he can be tried for treason which might carry the death penalty.

On the other hand he's going to spend the rest of his life in prison. He'll die of old age there. That might be a worse punishment than death

I'm hoping that since this scumbag became a US citizen he can be tried for treason which might carry the death penalty.

Attempted murder - even on a large scale - is not evidence of treason. I have seen no evidence that he was attemptng anything other than just to kill lots of people. I don't think even a terrorist charge would stick, let alone one of treason - if you could find a neutral jury, which is frankly not very likely.

AFAIK; New York no longer has a death penalty, so he will have to wait a few years. Those virgins will be rather old by the time he gets there.

I'd demand a health check if they came from the 'Bronx', if they were healthy and still virgins they'd be under 12 from the 'Bronx'.

I'd demand a health check if they came from the 'Bronx', if they were healthy and still virgins they'd be under 12 from the 'Bronx'.

Why a health check? You caught something from an "encounter" in the Bronx by any chance ? :D

In Tennessee (As in Norfolk, UK) virgins are highly prized. - They may be future Olympians! - After all, they can our-run their older brothers and cousins.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Attempted murder - even on a large scale - is not evidence of treason. I have seen no evidence that he was attemptng anything other than just to kill lots of people. I don't think even a terrorist charge would stick, let alone one of treason - if you could find a neutral jury, which is frankly not very likely.

Trying to blur the issue. The IRA were called terrorists by the British government in their bomb planting days. Is this man to be called by another name because he's not Irish

A terrorist is a terrorist is a terrorist

The reports seem to be going out of their way to aviod using that word to describe him.

Is this some kind of political correctness to avoid upsetting all the moderates?

Digging more holes where you can...again.

Tell me, what's the connection with the bloke above and the two below?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/8653722.stm

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/s/2054232_neil_lewington_convicted_of_terrorism_charges

Simple- they have a hatred- an ideology which has no reflection to which ever religion (if any) they may associate themselves to.

I know you're an anti theist but at least take off your blinkers and stop linking terror acts (or potential terror acts) directly to the religion(s).

The majority who sincerely adhere to a religion will happily condemn any act involving terrorism- be it muslim/christian/Jew or even atheist- there have been cases of that too in America (Virginia tec shooting) but if people went around saying ALL atheists are evil or have no morals etc then that would be silly.

It will be interesting (OK, I will be interested) to see what he's charged with.

'Treason' is a non-starter. (Try proving the mens rea - you would be laughed out of court.)

The fact that he is a US Citizen protects him from some of the outrageous provisions of the 'Patriot Act' (and makes John McCain look like a real plonker.) McCain advocated deferring giving the 'Miranda' warning to him until after he'd been interrogated (typical 'Patriot Act Overkill' but pointless, because even if the arresting/interrogating officers hadn't 'Mirandised' him, he would still enjoy the same Constitutional Rights.)

We'll have to 'wait and see'. Most of the Fibbies I've met (not a huge number, but a significant number) are professional policemen as well as being counter-intelligence people. They don't make too many mistakes and hopefully they will have gathered enough evidence to support (and win) a prosecution.

If Shahzad is prosecuted and convicted, then although some of the (possible) charges could, on conviction, render him liable to the death penalty there would be a considerable legal tension were the Federal Government to attempt to award a sentence not acceptable in the State of New York. Federal Law supersedes State Law, but the States are Sovereign Entities.

If he is convicted, then I wouldn't be surprised to find that Mr Shahzad ends up in a 'SuperMax'.

Handsome bloke, isn't he?

I'd be buggered if I'd go there.

Archived