BNP compared with Thatcher miners

As voting is coming up, i was wondering if anyone else agreed with me that had the BNP been in power that there would not have been Thatcher's tory miners strikes, and the pits would still all be open now. Food for thought isn't it :)

Can somebody explain who these Thatcher tory miners who went on strike were :huh:

Is the BNP's take on history as bad as their economics?

Can somebody explain who these Thatcher tory miners who went on strike were :huh:

Is the BNP's take on history as bad as their economics?

Here is a bit of BNP history for you, one of their candidates in the 1990s was Lady Birdwood, someone that organised scabbing.

http://www.searchlightmagazine.com/index.php?link=template&story=5

If the BNP had been in power at the time of the miner's strike Tyndall would have sent the army in.

The BNP are no friend of the miner's or the working class.

because I was far too young will someone explain why the miners were striking. From my lack of knowledge was it because of pit closures? And wasn't this inevitable when people started to move away from coal. Wasn't thatcher making the uk move on to produce something else there would be a market for?

because I was far too young will someone explain why the miners were striking. From my lack of knowledge was it because of pit closures? And wasn't this inevitable when people started to move away from coal. Wasn't thatcher making the uk move on to produce something else there would be a market for?

No, it had nothing to do with the price of Coal. The announcement of the closure of Cortonwood Pit kicked the strike off. Cortonwood had recently been modernised and produced some of the cheapest coal in the field, cheaper than Hatfield which stayed open until the 90s.

What Thatcher did to the miner's was an act of spiteful revenge, revenge for them winning a dispute in the early seventies.

No, it had nothing to do with the price of Coal. The announcement of the closure of Cortonwood Pit kicked the strike off. Cortonwood had recently been modernised and produced some of the cheapest coal in the field, cheaper than Hatfield which stayed open until the 90s.

What Thatcher did to the miner's was an act of spiteful revenge, revenge for them winning a dispute in the early seventies.

winning a dispute over what?

winning a dispute over what?

Pay in the early seventies for a decade or so their pay had fallen relatively, they went out on strike causing the 3 day week. Heath declared an election asking who governs Britain, and Labour won.

The two strikes in 72 and 74 were the first national coal strikes since 1926, decades of underpay and being devalued were redressed by a workforce that had finally had enough.

Pay in the early seventies for a decade or so their pay had fallen relatively, they went out on strike causing the 3 day week. Heath declared an election asking who governs Britain, and Labour won.

The two strikes in 72 and 74 were the first national coal strikes since 1926, decades of underpay and being devalued were redressed by a workforce that had finally had enough.

and this is why I have stayed out of politics for so long. You scratch the surface and you have to go back more and more years to find out what started the issue in the first place.

Wouldn't their wages be going down because the price of coal would be going down due to less demand? Or is it along the lines of supermarket milk prices, being subsidised so they can sell it for less than the wholesale price?

and this is why I have stayed out of politics for so long. You scratch the surface and you have to go back more and more years to find out what started the issue in the first place.

Wouldn't their wages be going down because the price of coal would be going down due to less demand? Or is it along the lines of supermarket milk prices, being subsidised so they can sell it for less than the wholesale price?

No. The price of coal wasn't going down we relied on it just as much as we had ever done. Their wages were going down relatively because that is what employers do to maximise profits.

Archived