BNP compared with Thatcher miners

Cortonwood had recently been modernised and produced some of the cheapest coal in the field, cheaper than Hatfield which stayed open until the 90s. .
... but still not cheaper mining it other countries and shipping it to the UK.

... but still not cheaper mining it other countries and shipping it to the UK.

It probably would still be cheaper if all the externalities were costed into the price of the imported coal, rather than to be picked up by various tax payers as it usually is

See splodgeyAl's post, right on the money. Unlike yours.

I refer to the not to the Nuff said :P

For you, I'll be selling glasses by the ton, you obviously need a pair or 10 :D

As long as they're at cost, I don't care !! Where's the profit in selling stuff @ cost ?

It probably would still be cheaper if all the externalities were costed into the price of the imported coal, rather than to be picked up by various tax payers as it usually is

Can I have a subsidy too?

You do make a fair point (though I don't know the current maths) but do we really want to be sending men and women underground to mine fossil fuels to burn for electricity in the 21st century?

I hope that we're rapidly moving away from coal, in which case this argument this argument is really about political ideology rather than doing 'the right thing'. I'm not very interested in ideology but I do care about society doing what I believe is 'the right thing'.

The BNP would like to bring that sort of trade back to North of England, including getting more steel works up and running again, why should we trade with other countries when we can do it here for free. Without paying EU trading costs.
And unemployemnt to those thrown on the dole by work going abroad. (Cadburys comes to mind)

If the BNP had been in power at the time of the miner's strike Tyndall would have sent the army in.

What like Churchill did in the 1930's ?

Labour, Libdem and Tories are no friend of the working classes that's for sure, that's why they love immigrants.

No. The price of coal wasn't going down we relied on it just as much as we had ever done. Their wages were going down relatively because that is what employers do to maximise profits.

ok so pay was too low, they striked they won. But why do you think maggie closed that mine to be spiteful. I take it there was an official story? what was maggies reasoning?

sorry as I say I know absolutely nothing about this apart from things from monty python sketches and the like:hihi:

also going off on a tangent-whoops

ok so pay was too low, they striked they won. But why do you think maggie closed that mine to be spiteful. I take it there was an official story? what was maggies reasoning?

sorry as I say I know absolutely nothing about this apart from things from monty python sketches and the like:hihi:

also going off on a tangent-whoops

Mostly to remind the proles exactly who's in charge, with the added bonus of busting probably the biggest union around at the time. Remember the adage "united we stand..."

What Thatcher did to the miner's was an act of spiteful revenge, revenge for them winning a dispute in the early seventies.

Thatcher saw how the miners created the 3 day week and brought down the previous government. She wasn't going to go the same way.

It wasn't spite, it was purely common sense!

Archived