What's the largest item you can carry on a roof rack?

If it's a pine wardrobe (as opposed to a humongous Oak wardrobe) and it's about 'standard' width (roughly 4 ft wide) and about 6ft high and 2-3ft deep it's probably going to weigh well under 50Kg.

A ladder rack is the ideal sort of rack (lots of cross-bars to support the item) but a pair of roof bars will be OK (you might want to put a bit of plywood under it if you're worried - though unless you're planning on hauling the furniture over a really long distance, it shouldn't be a problem.)

If, however, the wardrobe was originally a 'flat pack' item and it's made of chipboard, you will have to weigh it. (A bathroom scale?)

I've got an (old and rather large) chipboard wardrobe and it weighs well over 100kg.

Regulation 11 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 refers to the permitted overhang on certain classes of vehicles

Heavy motor car and motor car - the maximum overhang is 60 percent of the distance between the transverse plane which passes through the centre or centres of the foremost wheel or wheels and the transverse plane which passes through the foremost point from which the overhang is to be measured.

Regulation 8 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 creates the maximum permitted overall width of vehicles.

A motor vehicle - maximum width 2.55 metres.

A trailer drawn by a motor vehicle having a maximum gross weight exceeding 3500 kg - maximum width 2.55 metres.

Regulation 11 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 refers to the permitted overhang on certain classes of vehicles

Heavy motor car and motor car - the maximum overhang is 60 percent of the distance between the transverse plane which passes through the centre or centres of the foremost wheel or wheels and the transverse plane which passes through the foremost point from which the overhang is to be measured.

Regulation 8 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 creates the maximum permitted overall width of vehicles.

A trailer drawn by a motor vehicle having a maximum gross weight exceeding 3500 kg - maximum width 2.55 metres.

I have to go now, I'll have to try to get my head round that gobbledygook later. :hihi:

Ta.

I have to go now, I'll have to try to get my head round that gobbledygook later. :hihi:

Ta.

I copied and pasted. I think it means it can overhang by 60% of the distance from the middle of your front wheel to the end of the vehicle, or the end of the roofrack, whichever is shortest - assuming it's all tied down ok.

Give over how do you expect the average plod to understand that..he will do you and if you try to quote anything like that to him you will probably get a slap for your trouble

Archived