Caravan ownership-any advice?

Hi,

For a while now we have thought about buying a static caravan.

However, after looking into this Im not sure how anyone manages to afford it :(

By the time you have paid all the various fees/rates and insurances the costs runs into hundreds if not thousands of pounds every year.

I do know of a few people that own caravan's and they don't really strike me as been especially well off.

Can anyone offer any advice/tips other than winning the lottery of course :huh:

Thanks

x

I own a number of static caravans on the South West Coast. one is for my own use only, while the others are let to Holiday makers in the season or loaned to my friends and family. I pay around £3300 per caravan, per annum for ground rent, insurance, maintainance etc. I can achieve £400 per week, per static, in the summer season. You can earn money from your caravan if you are prepared to let it while not in use. Nuff said :thumbsup:

If it's for your own personal use, then I wouldn't go down the static route.

A tourer is much cheaper. Take it with you wherever you fancy.

If you don't like towing, there are sites that will take "static tourers" for a few hundred quid a year.

If it's to make money....I can't see it being a big payer after the site fees / expenses of £3300 already mentioned by falpere.

And do you really want someone else sleeping in your van, just so as you can afford to use it two weeks a year?

I know I wouldn't!

I didn't know that about the "static tourer's"

I think that will definately be something I'll look into, any idea where I can get any further info and is it something either of you have done?

That was one of my concerns regarding a static caravan. . . .that by the time I have finished letting it out to try to cover at least some of the costs, there wouldn't be much of the season left for us to actually holiday in it :(

Do you have any idea how much it is to put a tourer into "storage" as it were over the winter months?

Many thanks for the replies :)

x

Archived