Caravan ownership-any advice?

Correct..........

However now sites are getting that desperate for custom the first time in years you can buy your own direct and have it sited.

A £30,000 on site caravan can work out as little as 15-16,000 that way.

Why not buy a boat instead.

The fee's are about 2600 per year inc insurance.

Hi,

For a while now we have thought about buying a static caravan.

However, after looking into this Im not sure how anyone manages to afford it :(

By the time you have paid all the various fees/rates and insurances the costs runs into hundreds if not thousands of pounds every year.

I do know of a few people that own caravan's and they don't really strike me as been especially well off.

Can anyone offer any advice/tips other than winning the lottery of course :huh:

Thanks

x

Hi I recently bought mine in september lastyear and the first 3 months was great loved it but now we are getting bill nearly every month for this and for that this static is stationed at unity farm brean dont go there my advice u can make around 5-7 thousand per year pleas look into depth and go to lots of places before jumping in to anything 15 to 20 k is alot of money and maybe trying to find another investment would be better for you i really regret buying

We have given some thought to a timber lodge on a residential coastal site in either Devon or Cornwall. They come fully furnished with all the mod cons, £2,500 p/a site costs plus local rates and the usual services costs. A two bed is circa £125K, but some cheaper re-sales have started to come on the market. The wife still fancies a house in Spain though, so I suppose that we will compromise and buy in Spain. :hihi:

No way, keep away from statics.:suspect:...some friends wanted out so tried to sell their caravan, they werent allowed to sell privatley by the site owners, they had to sell a £10.000 caravan for a pittance...its robbery and the owners are being allowed to get away with it...:loopy:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest makapaka
We bought a 1998 5 berth tourer for £4000 about 3 years ago.

It cost £120 to insure it for the year. It was 20ft long and with awning was a decent sized comfortable van. We sited it for the season at Filey, that was a fully serviced pitch on hardstanding and it was £1200 for the season. The site was secure, you had to have keys and passes to get in and out 10 mins walk from the town and beach, lots of showers and toilets, really really nice. We went loads. I think I worked it out at £7 per day. We let family go in it and once it was sited we had more motivation to go, not having to hitch up etc etc.

The van had everything, full cooker and fridge, toilet and shower, 2 king size beds and one bunk, hot water, blow heating and gas fire.

I think if you go down this route you will need to just go round looking at vans. There is so much choice, some makes are better than others and some styles dont suit everyone.

Then go round the sites buy a book like Cades guide choose the areas you would consider going and have a day out driving round the sites, some may be fully booked for the season now but you can get lucky still.

As for storage you can pay £50 you can pay £200, you really need to go on word of mouth and what is convenient for you. I think a few storage places have threads on here. Many good ones have waiting lists.Once you have got all the kit, water carriers etc etc its not too costly and personally I love it!

If you decide to do this and want any help please PM me, I will be more than happy to offer any advice I can, or even come and look at vans with you if you arent sure what you are looking for or at. My OH tells people there is nothing I dont know about tourers!:roll:

Hi - we are interested in buying a caravan at filey and where you are sounds just what we're looking for.

What is the site called and are you aware of any caravans for sale at the moment? Thanks

Hi - we are interested in buying a caravan at filey and where you are sounds just what we're looking for.

What is the site called and are you aware of any caravans for sale at the moment? Thanks

The site is this one:

http://www.mustongrange.com/

Great Site!!

Loads of vans around at the moment. What are you looking for? Price range and berths? and most important thing what can your car tow? :D

Archived