Caravan ownership-any advice?

My advice would be to just rent a caravan when you wanted to go on holiday. That way you can go to different places and you wont be held to ransom by site owners who continually increase fees and make it impossible to get out without making a huge loss.

Hi,

For a while now we have thought about buying a static caravan.

However, after looking into this Im not sure how anyone manages to afford it :(

By the time you have paid all the various fees/rates and insurances the costs runs into hundreds if not thousands of pounds every year.

I do know of a few people that own caravan's and they don't really strike me as been especially well off.

Can anyone offer any advice/tips other than winning the lottery of course :huh:

Thanks

x

Static van.......would you really want to go on holiday to the same place for the next 30 years?

Hi,

For a while now we have thought about buying a static caravan.

However, after looking into this Im not sure how anyone manages to afford it :(

By the time you have paid all the various fees/rates and insurances the costs runs into hundreds if not thousands of pounds every year.

I do know of a few people that own caravan's and they don't really strike me as been especially well off.

Can anyone offer any advice/tips other than winning the lottery of course :huh:

Thanks

x

Unless your going to rent it out and your on about a static then there is no point because the site fee's nowa days are discusting well for decent sites with entertainment like Haven etc.

Hi - we are interested in buying a caravan at filey and where you are sounds just what we're looking for.

What is the site called and are you aware of any caravans for sale at the moment? Thanks

I didnt read all thread hence replying twice but my parents had a static on Blue dolphin site about 15 years ago it was a great site back then. But like I said above the prices are outragous now but as you want place near filey that is one site you can look at :D.

• 1 year later...

We started off 8 years ago with a cheap tourer, bought a better one but we took it to a site near Boston and left it there all year round. We paid per night to stay and £5 per week to store through the winter. We loved the site so much a static came up for sale for £1.500 which we bought and we have since then bought a 3 bedroom for £2.500 and we have used it so much and many happy holidays there. The yearly cost inc ground rent, gas, electricity and rates are around £1.500 so all in all this works for us and we take our grandchildren who have the van next door to us( well they dont but their parents do) !! I love being in my caravan, it is cozy, warm and a home from home. You dont have to spend thousands to own a decent caravan, just go to the sites around where you want to be and see if there are any bargains, there are lots of sites around Boston that are close enough to skeg vegas and mablethorpe without the high ground rents. :)

We have just got rid of ours on Southview as the site fee's were too expensive (about £3500 for everything). We have had many happy years there though and I do miss it. We bought it second hand from a friend for a really good price so got our moneys worth but it has opened my eyes to a few things.

Think very carefully about it - the big sites are a complete rip off. Southview had lots of facilities but as an owner you don't really use them - the pool was always packed, the site club was a total rip off & the shows were dire. The site was only interested in cramming as many people as possible into the site.

If I went for another caravan I would find the cheapest site possible but within walking/driving distance of amenities. You don't need to pay for it all to be on site. Buy a second hand van as well - you can put your own stamp on it. Newer ones look fab but it is just a holiday home.

I have a few friends who also have bought the biggest tourer they can and then sited it for the year - a much cheaper option and you aren't tied to the same place every year.

Also as already stated - selling on your van is a nightmare. The site charges a fortune & will offer to buy it for a fraction of its value.

Good luck xx

Archived