2010 General Election megathread

Not so much under fire as trying to sort out a mess within the existing legal framework. The McKinnon case is very odd and I'm glad that I don't have to wade through that particular minefield. It does highlight the imbalance in the legal relationship that has been created in the last 13 years.

It's easy to believe that everyone seems to have 'rights' except those who actually need them.

The general election's final spasm of activity takes place today, when voters elect an MP for the Thirsk and Malton constituency. This vote was delayed by the death of the chosen UKIP candidate - under which circumstances it's normal practice to delay the election in the affected seat, until the party which has lost its candidate can choose a replacement.

This new seat has been formed from areas in which the Tory party has a huge majority, so anything other than an extra Conservative MP in the Commons is astronomically unlikely.

The result from Thirsk and Malton:

* Conservative - 20,167 (52.87%)

* Liberal Democrat - 8,886 (23.30%)

* Labour - 5,169 (13.55%)

* UKIP - 2,502 (6.56%)

* Liberal - 1,418 (3.72%)

Based on the theoretical 2005 result (calculated by adding together votes from the various wards which now make up this constituency), Labour have lost half of their vote and been overtaken by the Lib-Dems; the Tory share has increased from 51% to almost 53%.

if anyone is unsure of what the coalitions plans are then there is a website

here - http://programmeforgovernment.hmg.gov.uk/

further if you want to comment on these plans you can do as it's also a public discussion forum

it is moderated so I doubt swearing at the leaders will be published but if you have any serious comments to make you can make them

if anyone is unsure of what the coalitions plans are then there is a website

here - http://programmeforgovernment.hmg.gov.uk/

further if you want to comment on these plans you can do as it's also a public discussion forum

it is moderated so I doubt swearing at the leaders will be published but if you have any serious comments to make you can make them

Quite good except for the environment, moderately happy :)

Archived