2010 General Election megathread

I guess I always thought it would be more proportional according to how people actually voted. It just seems wrong that our "great democracy" can elect a government that the majority did not vote for or want

is it just me that finds it surprising that nearly 25% of the overall vote only gets the lib dems 39 seats? How does that work? Our voting system is pretty rubbsh I think...sorry if I seem naive here! Still young enough to be idealistic.

That's why the Lib Dems are so keen on proportional representation. It's also why a lot of people in constituencies where a party has a safe majority feel that theirs is a wasted vote. It does lead to puzzling distortions, and it narrows the ultimate power to change the government to a surprisingly small number of voters in real terms.

Having said that, this is the most up-in-the-air election for many years. It's really a pivotal day when you factor in the turmoil in Greece and its wider impact in sending the markets into a spin, and the austerity that's imminent for us all, but we're all scratching our heads with no idea what our government's going to be even though it's now daylight!

Strange times.

I guess I always thought it would be more proportional according to how people actually voted. It just seems wrong that our "great democracy" can elect a government that the majority did not vote for or want

But that is always the way it has been the winning party usually gets a smaller share of the vote than the total of the rest.

Besides the Lib Dems with only 22% share are hardly near a majority themselves.

Essentially though in this instance the Conservatives have the largest share of the vote, Labour second and Lib Dem third......exactly the same as their seat share order.

But that is always the way it has been the winning party usually gets a smaller share of the vote than the total of the rest.

Besides the Lib Dems with only 22% share are hardly near a majority themselves.

It may well be the way it has always been done, but it still just doesn't seem quite right somehow. I would have thought that a more proportional system of representation and an elected house of lords would just be a lot fairer, and more democratic really

Archived