2010 General Election megathread

From the content, spelling and grammar of this post and oremester101's other posts, I can see the Tories attract the most intelligent and educated members of society:roll:

so someone loses a argument and they attack grammar why dont you look into why my grammar isnt good before spouting utter crap

Let me help you here.

In England in 1997 4,500 homes were sold under right to buy.

In 2004 it was 14,530.

you're obviously wrong it was definitely maggie!

VOTER BADGES

I agree with Nick!

Maggie did it!

even when it was nulabour, it was still maggie!

Well put. Seems that many people are screaming for PR without understanding what it means.

Clearly two progressive parties with a reasonably common agenda and a combined vote of 52% has more of a mandate.

There are ways to look at the election result. I'd say progressive parties (Lib, Lab, SDLP, PC, SNP) gained 56% of the vote. Assorted right-wingers and nationalist lunatics little more than 40%. So what did the public really vote for?

It is a little bizarre that the Tories are claiming a victory when they have about 23% of votes from those eligible to vote, so 77% of people didn't vote for them yet they consider this a victory and this is despite having most of the media behind them, an unpopular PM, Bigotgate, 13 years of opposition and the country just coming out of the worst recession in living memory.

It's staggering they only got that much vote!

It is a little bizarre that the Tories are claiming a victory when they have about 23% of votes from those eligible to vote, so 77% of people didn't vote for them yet they consider this a victory and this is despite having most of the media behind them, an unpopular PM, Bigotgate, 13 years of opposition and the country just coming out of the worst recession in living memory.

It's staggering they only got that much vote!

and what was it when labour got in?

Probably about the same, the point is the electoral system is a joke if anyone can get in with 23% of those eligible to vote and the fact they only got this with so many things going for them tells me their policies are still unpopular with most people.

Probably about the same, the point is the electoral system is a joke if anyone can get in with 23% of those eligible to vote and the fact they only got this with so many things going for them tells me their policies are still unpopular with most people.

so the tories aren't allowed to claim a win when they get the same percentage (roughly) as labour when they won?

You're absolutely right that the same argument applies to the last Labour victory. It's clearly time to change the system. It's broken. If we had another election result like this it would lead to a serious crisis.

so the tories aren't allowed to claim a win when they get the same percentage (roughly) as labour when they won?

They can claim a win in a system that is quite frankly laughable!

Archived