2010 General Election megathread

I wasn't saying the boundary commission changes were unfair.

The point I was making is that Labour got more seats in 2005 than the Tories in 2010 with a million less votes was largely due to changes in boundaries and the vastly increased turnout.

Funny I thought it was largely due to the huge drop in labour support across the country. Labour has lost approx 5.5 million votes over the last 13 years.

Labours support has been on the wane since they came to power in 1997.

1997 - 13,518,167 votes

2001 - 10,724,953 votes

2005 - 9,562,122 votes

2010 - 8,604,358 votes

But if you want to believe its ALL down to boundary changes, then, what ever makes you feel better about the whole thing.

Funny I thought it was largely due to the huge drop in labour support across the country. Labour has lost approx 5.5 million votes over the last 13 years.

Labours support has been on the wane since they came to power in 1997.

1997 - 13,518,167 votes

2001 - 10,724,953 votes

2005 - 9,562,122 votes

2010 - 8,604,358 votes

But if you want to believe its ALL down to boundary changes, then, what ever makes you feel better about the whole thing.

You do love to move the goalposts.

We were talking about the difference between 2005 and 2010. When did I say it was all down to boundary changes?

Didn't I mention the vastly increased turnout? So you chose to ignore it. Usual for you isn't it :cool:

Nick Clegg needs to think carefully before making a pact with Cameron.The Lib Dems kicked the Tories out of Hallam largely because life long Labour voters voted Lim Dem when voting tactically. If Clegg joins up with Cameron now, then in the next election those former life long Labour voters are likely to vote Labour again.....Nick could end up loosing his seat...if he's going to join the Tories, Hallam may as well be Conservative......

its the same in the other direction

You do love to move the goalposts.

We were talking about the difference between 2005 and 2010. When did I say it was all down to boundary changes?

Didn't I mention the vastly increased turnout? So you chose to ignore it. Usual for you isn't it :cool:

I’m only trying to give a background to my point that Labour has been losing voter share ever since it won back in 1997.

You claimed the changes where due to recent boundary changes, but looking at the overall drop of labour support over the last 13 years, the 2010 election is not a blip but a continuation in Labours dwindling levels of support.

You also claimed that there was some huge surge in turn out, but in actual fact, turnout was only up 3.8% compared to the 2005 election. Then looking at your claim that the turn out impeded Labour, this would mean more people used their right to vote and didn’t want labour as our next government. The people have spoken.

Whatever you try to claim affected the ballet box, nothing will take away the single fact that Labour suffered a convincing defeat, you know it, we all know it, even Labour MP's are starting to come to this realisation.

Beyond Clegg and Cameron's upper class, private schooled, wiped by Nanny, little noses.

And if I see yet another article about the 'shrinking violet' that is Cameron's wife, that was running up the stairs faster and in front of him, despite her pregnancy, after the election, like she was the new first lady, I'll vomit. Complaining that they can't 'manage' on David's salary, whilst there are families who can't even afford to eat healthily, she is the new Marie Antoinette of politics.

:gag:

If Clegg gets in bed with these, he'll never get even a sniff again.

Amen, praise the lord. Well said.

Angus Robertson, from the Scottish National Party, says a multi-party coalition including the nationalists could work, and is the best option in his view. "Why? Well, 85% of voters in Scotland did not vote for the Conservative Party, and the idea that we could have a coalition cobbled between the third and fourth parties - because that is what they are the Tories and Lib Dems are in Scotland - would be totally unacceptable," he says.

I am starting to think we do need an english parliament because this comment is ridiculous. The english voted overwhelmingly for the tories yet because scotland voted overwhelmingly not tory this guy thinks the parties that came 1st and 3rd overall should not be allowed to rule britain. what is he on?

Angus Robertson, from the Scottish National Party, says a multi-party coalition including the nationalists could work, and is the best option in his view. "Why? Well, 85% of voters in Scotland did not vote for the Conservative Party, and the idea that we could have a coalition cobbled between the third and fourth parties - because that is what they are the Tories and Lib Dems are in Scotland - would be totally unacceptable," he says.

I am starting to think we do need an english parliament because this comment is ridiculous. The english voted overwhelmingly for the tories yet because scotland voted overwhelmingly not tory this guy thinks the parties that came 1st and 3rd overall should not be allowed to rule britain. what is he on?

Why should Scotland have to suffer rule by a party almost universally rejected by them? Or would you like to give them independence?

Why should Scotland have to suffer rule by a party almost universally rejected by them? Or would you like to give them independence?

Well, because they are not an independent state, rather they are (currently) part of the United Kingdom. It's like saying that it would be wrong to have (for instance) a Tory government, because the people of Sheffield voted overwhelmingly for Labour.

Archived